Model Train Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't have immediate access to the actual Bachmann model, but it looks from the catalog pics like the simulated coal does not extend too high. You might measure the coal pocket space and head to a crafts store like Michael's and look for a small plastic jewelry box that could drop into the space right over top of the coal. Paint it black, glue in place, and maybe get an oil hatch brass part from someone like Precision.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Bachmann's parts department has a Vanderbilt tender (with a GN herald) for the HO 0-6-0, but not in N. :(

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hey Stumpy... I was gifted an 0-6-0T and have it on the tracks, but I noticed neither the forward or reverse lights are working (even after flipping on F0). Can you tell me if yours work? I'm curious if these are real lights or just dummy lenses in these units.

Otherwise, thanks for the recommendation! This little guy is definitely gonna be a great yard loco for me.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well it's good to know they *should* work. I don't get how they can both be bad, I'm still using the stock DCC decoder and haven't touched anything inside.

Oh wait... do you have to enable F0 before your lights come on? I wonder if my current version of DCC++ESP32 is broken for functions?

·
Registered
769 Posts
On my Digitrax controller, once I have the loco selected, I hit the 0 (zero) button and the lights come on.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
OK, I bet that's it then... which makes me think, maybe the soundtraxx tsunami is the same way and I have to turn on the lights before they show? That would be great news, since I forgot to include the resistor when I wired it (I know my ten-wheeler has an LED light, but I don't know if it came with an inline resistor or relied on something from the original DC board).

·
Registered
289 Posts
I’m no expert on the rio grand but I would imagine if you’re looking to use it as a road loco then I would go with bigger drivers and bigger tender. If it’s for an industrial application go with the smaller of the two. I would imagine the smaller loco would be either an older model late 1800s maybe? And the bigger one early 1900s? Those would be switching locos in the era I’m modeling so I’m not much help with this one

41 - 48 of 48 Posts