Model Train Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That center-most solder point; is that a shadow being cast? Or discoloration on the board? If the latter it could be an indication that the decoder has cooked.
Thanks for the response. I was able to fix the issue. Turns out the copper pickups from the wheels were not properly set. Once I rearranged them, I simply reprogrammed the decoder. Thanks to all for the help.

Registered
Glad you got it figured out and fixed. As you have discovered, those long copper strip pickups can be rather sketchy and unreliable. So they should be one of the first things to check if you have a problem.

I see that your loco does not have sound (which, in N scale, where there is not much room for a speaker, and those speakers that will fit have very little volume anyway), and you only have one loco, which makes me wonder why you are even bothering with DCC at this point? If you plan to add another loco and another controller in the future, or if your layout has one or more reverse loops, then DCC makes some sense, but for only running a single loco on a simple layout, it seems like unnecessary complication. A second DCC loco would be a good thing to have, if only for future troubleshooting.

Enjoy your learning experience!

Bill in FtL

21 - 24 of 24 Posts