Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just getting started on my first layout and I have hills my train is going up and down I think I have every thing pretty level but the front wheels keep coming off the track just about every lap . I have checked the connections of the track and all are connected properly what can I do …tony

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are the wheels coming off on a curve or on a straight section and is it in the same spot everytime? If it is the same spot then roll a rail car over the spot and watch what is going on. I had something similar and I ended up replacing a curve section of track, it looked like the track may have been warped just enough for the wheels to fall through.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
Also, does it do it with all the engines or just one?
Does it do it going up your hill?
What percentage is your grade?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
where does this happen? in the curve obviously but foot or crest? downhill or uphill?

i'm working on grade transitions area of my layout as well. i had a flaky location - turn that starts with the grade down and the front wheel was going over the rail. solution was to raise the outside rail so the flange can "grab" it better. - shimmed it with the track nails.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a spot that was giving me problems and by rolling a car back and forth over it I found the rails were pinched together enough to make the wheels derail. Depending on the track those rails will slide some what on top the ties and maybe get the separation between rails to change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all your help with my Derailing problem got it fixed . so here is my next dilemma I’m using ez track and have been told there are no tack or nails made to use with this track is this true there are small holes in the track ..can you help me with this thanks tony

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nails won't do that much good going into the blue foam anyway. Why not get a tube of cheap latex caulk and glue the track in place? Put all the track together, and once you get things to where you like it then raise the track slightly and put small dabs of caulk under each side of the track. Once it dries, the track shouldn't move but would still be easy enough to remove if you want to make changes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts