Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
research with morning coffee :coffee: Hello gents...been looking at scale in general for a while now...and lurking around here. This looked like a large active forum so here I am. I need another hobby like I need a whole in my head but think a layout would look great in my trophy room (I hunt),..or my workshop,..or both. I've piddled with taxidermy years ago,...currently pretty heavy into powder horns and scrimshaw...I work with bone,..antler,..horn in general,..mostly carving. I'm not a great woodworker but can usually knock out what I need done for my purposes.
But back to the scale stuff,...I've gotten as far as purchasing my first biplane a few months back and have ordered a few supplies I didn't have and made some available workspace in my shop.My approach to the trains will be similar. I like the steam locomotives,..plain and simple. I have zero interest in anything very modern,...WWll and back would be for me. My questions down the road will be related to basic purchase info,...brand info,..quality etc,...and also the electronics. I am not into electronics whatsoever so all those gadgets related to this are pretty foreign to me.
My available space is somewhat under remodel at the moment but do have a 4ft round table that I could do a circular layout on. I could set up other things down the road but at the moment that would be my initial plunge in. Just given the availability etc,..HO has my attention but could go N if need be.

Like I said the locomotives are really eye candy for me....I like history,...vintage advertising,..old signage type stuff. Some of the scratch builds you guys do on the layouts is really impressive and is a large reason for my interest. This turned out to be a bit of a ramble,..but usually if your gonna be asking for help folks need to know a little on where your coming from.

- Aaron

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Welcome.

Have you always liked railroading and model trains, or is this something you are 'trying out' to see if it interests you?

Reactions: aaronc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome.

Have you always liked railroading and model trains, or is this something you are 'trying out' to see if it interests you?

Welp,...no doubt it interest me,..and I'm headed that way.....but no I never had one as a kid and other things I've done have just landed me here. Thanks for the welcome....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Welcome!

With you just getting into the hobby I'd say your 4' round table would be a great start. It will give you the chance to learn how to do things and work through your mistakes with minimal effort and cost. From there your move to a large layout will be much easier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome!

With you just getting into the hobby I'd say your 4' round table would be a great start. It will give you the chance to learn how to do things and work through your mistakes with minimal effort and cost. From there your move to a large layout will be much easier.

Yes sir ! Thanks for the feedback !

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you prefer steam N is out. Limited choices, questionable QC.
I may sound like a pimp saying this but go HO. (or bigger)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you prefer steam N is out. Limited choices, questionable QC.
I may sound like a pimp saying this but go HO. (or bigger)

Great info and why I am here,....My future posts and questions will basically be about company info,..quality,..etc. Figured I'd do a little homework first,...yeah....the steam loco's are it for me.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Great info and why I am here,....My future posts and questions will basically be about company info,..quality,..etc. Figured I'd do a little homework first,...yeah....the steam loco's are it for me.
Aaron;

Welcome to the forum! I wrote the attached files for new people planning their first model railroad. Look through them if you like, they may provide some useful information.

Again welcome;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aaron;

Welcome to the forum! I wrote the attached files for new people planning their first model railroad. Look through them if you like, they may provide some useful information.

Again welcome;

Traction Fan 🙂

Wow man,...yes sir. Thank you. You never know what's gonna happen with the internet and or websites...I'll print this out later 👌

1 - 10 of 10 Posts