Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with all the crazy business going on in the world and nation....The "Can't Happen Here" Midwest attitude has taken a punch to the gut! Like everywhere else Toilet Paper, Sanitizer, Wipes, and any spray that could kill a Rhino is off the shelves....Governor Evers has closed all schools until after Spring Break and that could be extended...All social gatherings have been cancelled including the Title Town Train Show 4/18-19 and the big one Restaurants will be closing or should be closing for 2-3 weeks. We will find out tomorrow when we will close and then for my Kitchen Crew a tear down and moving of equipment for Urban Renewal....believe it..this Friday and Saturday was business as usual with tons of tourists flocking to NE Wisconsin....causing me to question WTF...I went into USN Mode GI Everything and Anything short of having a Flame Thrower or Zippo Lighter, started getting staff to think about the who, what, where and how people touch things when entering a restaurant...pretty damn scary!! The look on our GM's face said it all...especially with the flow of people both tourist and locals flocking in the door...do the math!! I'll keep you all updated and it seems the CV-19 has hit Southern Wisconsin and doubling each day...I told my wife it's like waiting for Godzilla to walk out of Tokyo Bay!! Chin up, Keep those Trains a movin, Good Luck to you ALL:thumbsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well I went from driving a bus to unemployment line in a heartbeat! Here in Ohio it went crazy! Now we are just waiting on the stay in your home law to be put in place!
It is just crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad Timing!!

All I can say is, I'm glad I'm retired!
Old_Hobo I'm a little over a year away from Full retirement and wanted to work until then...but...my wife will retire after the School Year and If this social Distancing doesn't get lifted I'm OUT!! I still plan to work Part time cuz I'm THAT way...was supposed to get my knee's replaced in 2021 but I'm in pretty good shape for an old fart so I might wait...but I'll talk with my orthopedic and see what he recommends...in the meantime it's work, Trains and Model Warships!!:thumbsup::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Hang in there.....this too will eventually pass......stay safe and be smart....

I was thinking about working part-time after I retired, but to tell you the truth, I don't have the time! My friends and co-workers that retired before me said that when I retire, you'll be busier when you were working, but I didn't really believe that....

Well, they were right! Always something to do, either around the house, the car, the yard, errands and appointments, helping the kids and grandkids, shovelling/blowing snow for the neighbourhood in the winter.....

But, I do volunteer with the local train store to help seek out and acquire collections, estate sales and work train shows, both locally and on the road....I really don't want to get paid, because then the government gets more of my money for income tax, and they don't deserve more of my money...:D

I retired with a fully paid-up pension (42 years of service), so money is not an issue, and my wife still works, as she loves her job, so life is good right now.....except for the you-know-what that's flowing around the world right now.....

But again, hang in there, it will eventually die down, just be careful and do smart things....don't know if the world will ever be exactly the same as before, but it will come to a new normal....its happened before, and will happen again....

Take care!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not retired here. Laid off but enough monetary backup to hold out for awhile.
Havent been beyond my property line since last Sunday. Ive been doing much needed work, diligently on trucks, wheels, couplers and the like of my H0 rolling stock. 100 plus cars in need of metal wheels. That hits the wallet smartly I must say. That sad: I Was thinking of shopping a few more items hobby and otherwise this wknd but, came to my senses. I'll go out and about Monday morning some time...
Stay healthy and sane folks. Seriously. Stay the recommended distance form others when can.
Sincerely
Scottro

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4/1/2020 I am Ward of the State of Wisconsin

Update: This past week ALL Lodging in our area has been shut down and we are digging in for a prolonged shut down at least through the month of April...so I'll be a Ward of the State until we get called back to work. Our To Go program is at a 20% and with the shutdown coming I'm running out our inventory...people are out of work, kids are home, no social outlets so in the course of a week.."Shite got Real...and quick"!! To all those who said "It can't happen Here"...it did!! But hey not to worry have 1 week left and am cooking everything that walks or crawls and freezing it...just like a zombie Apporkalips:laugh::laugh::laugh: Building Warships, Steam locomotive maintenance, work on the Never ending Layout....make time to to keep out sanity!!!:thumbsup::laugh::laugh::laugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts