Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up this on ebay last week. its a lionel 248. got it for 50 bucks. and im really surprised. its not in bad shape. mechanically wise it runs. needs some gear work but other wise its pretty sound. paint is decent. im actually debating on leaving it or just doing a repaint. what do you guys think? also, any more info I can get on this bad boy would be great! enjoy the pics.

Transport Scale model Locomotive Vehicle Train

Scale model Transport Vehicle Locomotive Rolling stock

Auto part Engine Machine tool Vehicle Metal

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Great find for 50 bucks!

Don't have a lot of additional info, but i will offer that most of the repaints I see look fantastic. One thing you have going for you with these engines is no decals. Virtually all of the trim work: doors, grab irons, vents ... come off. This makes painting so much easier.

The hardest thing will probably be matching the color. Don't rule out all those alternate colors that were used, maybe not for that specific engine, but some of the blue and green shades used back then were really neat!

Enjoy!:smokin:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im not really worried about value so I decided to go ahead and start stripping the paint off the frame. this old paint literally peels off once you let it sit in some stripper. no rust to say the least ill snap some pics once I get it all cleaned off.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have very few pieces that are capital-C Collector items, and lots that I've restored or repainted to suit myself. Every piece I work on increases its value in my eye, and I've painted some junkers to look appealing, maybe enough to hold or increase their value in another's eye, when the time comes to pass them on. I realize you want to be true to its original colors, and that's a good thing to shoot for. I, for one, am gratified some of us don't buy stuff to appeal to someone else's eye or even because we think of its collectible value over its appeal to us. It's your hobby, as it is mine, so am attaching a few pix of some of my fun pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow great pics. so I started with the frame with paint removal process. paint peeled right off with some stripper and a light wire wheel. very little rust on the bare frame. its straight as an arrow so that's always a plus. what's going to be the best way to be to cleanup the brass? that seems to be my biggest challenge so far.

Metal Scale model

Electronics Machine Technology Vehicle

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cant wait! the challenge too is going to be keeping the couplers on while I paint the frame

·
Admin
46,400 Posts
Since you're not worried about 100% original, I'd remove the couplers, clean them up separately, and then put them back on when you're done finishing the frame. It'll be a ton easier, and you'll be able to get the rust under the couplers as well.

Are you going to try to paint it with all the brass trim in place? I think I'd remove it for the painting and cleaning.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
john when I am going to remove all the accents before I do the repaint. I have heard that the "brass" has a clear coat and if I buff it out I could remove the clear coat causing it to tarnish. what would be the best way to polish it up?

·
Admin
46,400 Posts
I'd polish the brass, and of course you'll end up removing the clear coat in the process. You can then coat it again. Something like Rust-Oleum Gloss Crystal Clear will protect it for a long time as long as it's not exposed to direct sunlight or extreme temperatures.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,965 Posts
Did they use real brass for them anyone know?
Or are they brass plated?

If brass try rubbing some toothpaste with an old soft toothbrush, you do save all old toothbrushes right? Everyone should.
They come in handy for cleaning also, I save them all and to be on the safe side I boil them before I save them. All kinds, soft, hard & medium, different types work on different things.:smilie_daumenpos:

Toothpaste, toothbrush or soft rag to clean them, then buff it out with polish.
That is if it is brass, not just brass plated.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that's what im not sure of ed. I think it would be a safe assumption but then again not 100 percent sure. can anyone clarify?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,965 Posts
Does a magnet stick to it?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts