Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Silver Streak was in production from maybe the 50's to the 70's. This kit has a note saying the ends were changed to orange, implying that the prototype changed ends to orange at some point in that time period. I thought it was interesting.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the finished project:

The orange ends look cool in image searches but I'm going for a steam era railroad. This is the first Silver Streak caboose I've built without Zamac cancer problems. The sides took a bit of a beating while in the box. I really like the trucks with working leaf springs. Anyway, this caboose will chase an old SP Atlantic when it is pulling freight.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Good info, thanks.
I had thought it was Daylight Orange.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
The orange ends look cool in image searches but I'm going for a steam era railroad. This is the first Silver Streak caboose I've built without Zamac cancer problems. The sides took a bit of a beating while in the box. I really like the trucks with working leaf springs. Anyway, this caboose will chase an old SP Atlantic when it is pulling freight.
Great looking model. Nice work. Kudos! (y)
I love the C-30 profile.
I was never able to find a SilverStreak rendition.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The old Silver Streak kits are cool, build into beautiful models if you take your time, yours turned out excellent, I have an unbuilt kit for SP 259, the wooden caboose with steel bay windows, it doesn't seem to have the Zamac cancer issue, Need to put it together, its only been on my shelf about a decade!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I started on the roof I thought the cupola was too far forward, but the other cabooses with cupolas further offset don't have windows outboard of them. This is the first I got in this configuration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts