Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member to these forums. For years, I have set up my trains only on occasion. They seem to work fine for a while, then stop. I get frustrated and box them up until next time I feel like an adventure. I like HO scale trains. They are big enough to enjoy, yet small enough to fit in the tight spaces of my house. One day, I hope to have a terminate display set up, but until then, I'm stuck struggling with a few issues, I'll post in a different form.

I really enjoy steam engines. My great grandpa, and great uncle, were railroad workers. Great grandpa worked on the big boys, so naturally, I had to get one when I found it for sale. When the Big Boy went on tour of the US, I made sure to go see it as well. I have a nice video if it rolling through town. I don't get as excited about diesel locomotives. Maybe it's because I grew up near the UP rail yard and they were so common to me, they lost a bit of the appeal.

I don't have a lot of advice to offer, but I will help where I can. I'm mostly seeking ideas to improve my set up, so I can spread my own interests to my son.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
A very warm welcome to the Forum. This is the place where you can get
help with any model train problem you may face. Our members have
the experience to solve just about any anomaly.

Trains need TLC. After time, lubricants gel and instead of providing
smooth operation, can actually 'gum up' the works. The problems you
have experienced could be the need to clean the rails, the loco wheels,
and replace the gear lube.

Keep us posted on your layout plans.

Don

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I'm a new member to these forums. For years, I have set up my trains only on occasion. They seem to work fine for a while, then stop. I get frustrated and box them up until next time I feel like an adventure. I like HO scale trains. They are big enough to enjoy, yet small enough to fit in the tight spaces of my house. One day, I hope to have a terminate display set up, but until then, I'm stuck struggling with a few issues, I'll post in a different form.

I really enjoy steam engines. My great grandpa, and great uncle, were railroad workers. Great grandpa worked on the big boys, so naturally, I had to get one when I found it for sale. When the Big Boy went on tour of the US, I made sure to go see it as well. I have a nice video if it rolling through town. I don't get as excited about diesel locomotives. Maybe it's because I grew up near the UP rail yard and they were so common to me, they lost a bit of the appeal.

I don't have a lot of advice to offer, but I will help where I can. I'm mostly seeking ideas to improve my set up, so I can spread my own interests to my son.
adwhitewolf;

Welcome to the forum! You may want to check out our HO-scale forum, if you haven't already. The files below are some I wrote for new modelers building their first layout. While it doesn't sound like you're new, it does sound like you haven't built a permanent model railroad yet. In any case, look through them if you like, they may help you get started on a model railroad of your own.

again welcome;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts