Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post. Only been doing railroads at varying intensity for forty years. Time flies.

A question I can't solve - - - a Herald King decal set tells me the freight car body color is 'hi-yellow'. Wuzzat? I can't find a definition or an equivalence or a definition in English as to what 'hi-yellow' means. The prize would be a reference to a commercially available paint. And then I could proceed with decorating my freight car.

Thanks, folks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for speaking up. Much obliged.

"Oregon & Northwestern Railroad" says the Herald King decal set.
Boxcar. Found photos online. I can't tell one yellow from another, there's generic and proprietary shade names and photos themselves can mislead. A SWAG naming a commercially available color would be a treat.

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
I would guess that any bright yellow, like a reefer yellow, will do.....especially if you only have the one car, and nothing else to compare it to.....I suspect that no one will be able to tell the color of an actual Oregon & Northwestern Railroad boxcar, unless they were an expert....

As you have said, even color photos can be off, due to weather and lighting, so.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would guess that any bright yellow, like a reefer yellow, will do.....especially if you only have the one car, and nothing else to compare it to.....I suspect that no one will be able to tell the color of an actual Oregon & Northwestern Railroad boxcar, unless they were an expert....

As you have said, even color photos can be off, due to weather and lighting, so.....
Agreed. Railbox yellow, reefer yellow, roadname yellow, who could tell...

What I'm doing is building up undecorated cars I accumulated when kids and work conspired to take available time. I could buy stuff, but I had a hard time carving out railroad bench time from other hobby time.

Here's another question about the same project: The car I have available is a 'hi-cube' 50-foot double door car with doors configured so as to allow the lettering to look natural. And I have a hi-cube car set of decals to contribute hi-cubeness to the cause. I know about end painting and lettering, but I have no idea where to put the boxed warnings about car height on the sides. Suggestions will be welcomed a bunch.

And thanks again.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Color matching is not an exact science. A number of factors go into it, not the least of which is that colors are rather subjective. What one person thinks is spot on may look way off to someone else. The type of lighting that the model is viewed under will also have an effect. A model under fluorescent lights will not have the exact same color as one viewed under LED's. A model viewed indoors will look different from one viewed outside on a sunny day. Even the time of day the model is viewed outdoors will have an effect.
I read something on the internet where a guy that worked in the UP's paint-shop's was saying that they had a line of freshly painted locomotives lined up outside on a sunny day, and no two shades of Armour Yellow were the same.
The best advice I can give you is to pick a color that YOU think is close enough, then run with it and don't look back.
Probably one reason that noone suggested an exact product is that they didn't want to steer you wrong.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Color matching is not an exact science. A number of factors go into it, not the least of which is that colors are rather subjective. What one person thinks is spot on may look way off to someone else. The type of lighting that the model is viewed under will also have an effect. A model under fluorescent lights will not have the exact same color as one viewed under LED's. A model viewed indoors will look different from one viewed outside on a sunny day. Even the time of day the model is viewed outdoors will have an effect.
I read something on the internet where a guy that worked in the UP's paint-shop's was saying that they had a line of freshly painted locomotives lined up outside on a sunny day, and no two shades of Armour Yellow were the same.
The best advice I can give you is to pick a color that YOU think is close enough, then run with it and don't look back.
Probably one reason that noone suggested an exact product is that they didn't want to steer you wrong.
What better and more available HIGH YELLOW can you find than
the familiar squeeze bottle of FRENCH'S MUSTARD.

Don

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Boxcar. Found photos online. I can't tell one yellow from another, there's generic and proprietary shade names and photos themselves can mislead. A SWAG naming a commercially available color would be a treat.
Any good solid bright yellow. My SWAG -- Vallejo Acrylics Model Color #915 -- Deep Yellow. Bottled for brush painting, but easily thinned for airbrushing if desired.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any good solid bright yellow. My SWAG -- Vallejo Acrylics Model Color #915 -- Deep Yellow. Bottled for brush painting, but easily thinned for airbrushing if desired.
I have an unused jug of Badger's SP 'Armor yellow'. Hard to divine shade by looking in the bottle. But it ain't Railbox yellow or reefer yellow, so some variety is possible.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an unused jug of Badger's SP 'Armor yellow'. Hard to divine shade by looking in the bottle. But it ain't Railbox yellow or reefer yellow, so some variety is possible.
Did a bit of looking around - - - If the SP color is analogous to the UP color reference it sure is a deep yellow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts