Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 track hidden staging area under a set of mountains. They are all on their own detection areas/sectors/blocks with a esu command station. All works good but how does everyone make sure the train is clear of another line. Far enough through the turnout? Additional sensor for peace of mind?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Camera mounted in the tunnel. Or,

There are also block detectors made by Viessmann that will stop the train at a safe point after you set up the sensors. ESU decoders are capable of reading this signal. I do not know all of the technical details, but it works the same as a block signal in that it will stop the train automatically before entering another block on a red signal.

Reactions: Class5

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about a infrared detector wired to a light by the control panel but not sure the most cost effective and accurate system cameras are super cheap, what would you recommend?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I don't have any experience with small cameras. There are plenty of examples on the internet including You Tube.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
There's really no easy step to the hidden track other than clear observation of the track, either by camera or direct visual. A sensor will only tell ya when something is at a specific point.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
On my S gauge layout there is quite a bit of hidden track including a staging yard. I have mini display mimic panels in the layout fascia that show turnout position, turnout fouling indication and block occupancy. Here is a schematic of the four mini panels, the staging yard is on the lower right. Also included is the design of the turnout fouling detection system. It works just fine to position the trains with no visuals needed.

1A11C79B-8FE3-4996-A02B-8026EC504839.png
A8590FCE-C513-45C6-ABBD-24DAD7B1128D.png

1 - 6 of 6 Posts