Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tweezer fodder
A longtime yearning.

I've long wanted to make a brick wall or structure in a partially crumbled state.

The only model bricks I've seen are offered only in O scale and 1:35. They're sold in packs of hundreds, and are fairly reasonable.
I fully realize the difficulty of attempting such a tedious and arduous project, but I have a plan that would simplify it dramatically.
I just wish somebody would produce bricks in HO scale.
The ones on eBay that are claimed to be "suitable for HO & OO scale" are far bigger, and not even close to 1:87.

This photo is from an O scale layout:
OscaleBrickWall_002.jpeg

·
Registered
806 Posts
You may look into walthers cornerstone. I know that they made models of a brick yard so maybe they have bricks. Worth a try anyway if you haven’t looked yet

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may look into walthers cornerstone. I know that they made models of a brick yard so maybe they have bricks. Worth a try anyway if you haven’t looked yet
Yeah, I checked them first.
They list brick sheet, (which is very good) and stacks of bricks with pallets, but not individual.

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered these...
1,200 for $38 w/free shipping.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I personally wouldn’t be building with them but that would be cool to have some to use as details to scenes. If you like them and remember I would appreciate it if you update the post. I’m not to that point yet but I think it would be cool to have some by my engine shed and roundhouse

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The stone walls and things of that nature that I've seen made with foam sheet, indentions for each stone, a bit of joint compound washed over the surface to "stone it up" and various paint techniques to bring forth the seams and crscks and color seem to produce fantastic results.

Intuitively that seems like it would work here... But it won't produce the results you want?

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stone walls and things of that nature that I've seen made with foam sheet, indentions for each stone, a bit of joint compound washed over the surface to "stone it up" and various paint techniques to bring forth the seams and crscks and color seem to produce fantastic results.

Intuitively that seems like it would work here... But it won't produce the results you want?
I think you should probably read the O.P. again.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I don't see the obvious issue. From what I've seen of the "foamers"... They could reproduce the pic with expert ease.

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't see the obvious issue. From what I've seen of the "foamers"... They could reproduce the pic with expert ease.
Then be my guest... have at it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
No my question is why do you reject it. I'm not arguing you should or should not do it that way.

Certainly you have a different idea.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Is there a scale sized trowel and level to go with the bricks?! I am amazed at the size of those to be scale for HO, that is really cool. I look forward to seeing how your project turns out. That O scale deteriorated wall looks great. Being a bricklayer, I can attest to the authenticity.

·
Registered
38 Posts
LateStarter,

I was intrigued by your post and started my own quest to find an answer. You are correct in stating that you can find as much bricks that you want in larger scales. I came across a guy who built a mold out of silicone to create his own bricks. I know that is not what you were looking for but, it is an option.

Good luck with your wall.
Mike

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Standard American brick is 8"x4"x2-1/4".
An HO scale brick needs to be about .092" long, 046" wide, and .026" thick.
1:1 mortar is about 1/2" thick... or .006" paper.

Yeah, it'll be interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This photo is from a general 'discussion' about laying individual model brick, in which I found very little information, except that the horizontal spacers appear to be styrene strips.

My first impression is, it appears to be a challenge to get the overall face of the brick surface to be flush.
Perhaps as the rows are glued, they could be coaxed outward against a held-in-place surface.
Or... the courses could be laid face down in a jig.
Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

My one major concern is, I believe they're made of a ceramic material. I'm not sure how easy it'd be to cut them.
BrickDownload_00a.jpeg

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Having been a bricklayer, I will give this some thought. This example is really extreme, as the modeler is using Flemish bond. This consists of a header, or half brick between two full bricks. The bricks aren't all flush, or flat.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I found this site with several options but... Not the same depth...

My instinct is to build a form. Stamp it out using maybe clay sculpture and paint.

If that is far too much my instrict is to build some small repeating form. And press/carve into foam .. then apply something like a joint compound wash, then paint.

After that my instinct is to pay Don 87 time his normal rate to do it right. Unfortunately that's just a bit expensive... That was supposed to be funny, that part of it..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts