Model Train Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Is the gap between the bricks the problem? If I were trying this I'd make a box form out of scrap with the outside of the wall on the bottom, pile the bricks in, sort them into whatever order you want then pour some kind of glue on top (which would be the inside of the wall). The glue would have to be thick enough that it doesn't puddle underneath the bricks. If you need it doublethick make two sheets and glue them back to back. I saw a video about a guy who builds huge models out of toothpicks and that's what he did, glued toothpicks together into giant sheets then formed the sheets into the shape he needed for the model.
That wouldn't make the gap though.

·
Premium Member
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Built a fire pit
Taxing on the brain.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm only able to take small bites so far.
Maybe I'm just lacking imagination.
BrickPit_005.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Using some more up
On a burned out structure.

Because I think I'm getting better at it, I try more a little at a time.
Then eye-fatigue kicks in, and I have to take another break.

Like the previous postings, this is a tiny diorama.
HObricks_074.jpg

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
So I just happened to run into this bridge project by Luke Towan.

The bridge may be the star but second fiddle goes to the bricks for the abutments. In it he makes 100s or more bricks out of foam for it.

There's several steps to it and ... If you are getting paid by sponsors, perhaps all the more easily accomplished.

So I admit I thought hand laying each one was kinda crazy way back but maybe not.

The other approach I've seen in vids with foam is to build a small tool to press the brick outline in row by row.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have used some of his techniques working on layouts. I think the trees he makes are awesome. I kind of follow his direction on making them

41 - 55 of 55 Posts