Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a photo of an Atlas Trainman IHB car. It was weathered with paint and chalk. The sides were pushed out with a vice grip I outfitted with a dimple maker. The small bumps are drops of super glue. The coils are from L to R, a hand made coil ID 32" OD 72" L 65" wt 60460 lbs : a modified Tangent models coil, 36x68x60L, wt 44385; and a modified Walthers coil 24x72x48 Long, wt 49167. Steel strapping is 1/64 wide tape. The other two pictures are KCSM 61086 and KCSM 61307.........Thanks, Dale.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
pretty realistic of you -- why don't they just make them all bashed up if that's what they really look after delivery for the vast majority of their service lives?

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
I think that they make them as delivered, then if you want to make them looked bashed up, it‘s up to you to do that.....just like the prototype!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
These techniques work for any gondola, not just coil loads. I've also seen people heat up the sides and press down & out with a flat edge to simulate something heavy being dropped on the sides.

I like that idea of adding dimples to the sides. I wonder how it would work if you applied a little heat, then used one of those tools for punching holes in leather (the kind with the wheel that spins for different sized holes)? If nothing else, it would make a great simulation of pipes slamming into the ends of the gond.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
It's...duh, I mean it is plastic isn't it? It just dawned on me. Ok so a few metal tools for pushing ... And a heat source but not a flame....

·
Registered
784 Posts
Dale! That's some really nice work! I appreciate your supplying all those details and the protype pics as well!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
pretty realistic of you -- why don't they just make them all bashed up if that's what they really look after delivery for the vast majority of their service lives?
Because some people might want to model an era where the particular car is still "new".
It takes a little while for them to get really banged up.
Not all cars DO get banged up like that - scrap metal is really rough on cars, but cars originally built for, and spending their whole lives in coil service tend to not get dinged up much at all. Some of these cars may have started as general service cars and got reconditioned and outfitted with coil bunks later on.
And also, if the cars come with dents and dings from the factory, then all the cars end up having identical dents and dings which kills the effect pretty quickly as well once you see it..
Most models aren't produced with "factory rust" either... that sort of weathering is all customization from the modeler.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Excellent coils! And the pipe load in the background is awesome too. I spent 30 years in a pipemaking facility. Loaded/unloaded many cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts