Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I Got these in an estate closing. I have had an offer for them but just wanted to see how far off it is before I commit. I know you guys probably hate these posts but would anyone be willing to give me aT least a ballpark for the collection as a whole? Thank you!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
It would be nice to have more pictures. The brass loco looks to be in reasonable Shape which if it runs they can fetch a pretty good coin not sure what all else is there if the description on the boxes aren’t visible and you can’t see what’s there. Put up another picture of the brass locomotive and the box so I can see what it is. I study what brass locos go for on eBay so I may be able to help ya with a price on that. Blue box athearn locos I’ve seen sell from 5-50 bucks freight car kits usually go for between 5-8 bucks from athearn. The track appears to be steel so it may not be worth much. The brass could be worth a considerable amount though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Pretty much what he said😅 Another option could be to sell it all separately and/or in smaller lots, some people may not want it all.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The Mikado looks a little tired, but - does it run???? The rest seems just kinda "back shelf" stuff... The hopper kits are good for somebody looking for that! Put it all together, I guess you have a a small layout 😊 Might be better like USRA Guy says, ebay it all separately...

·
Registered
784 Posts
The brass loco probably has some value.

Also, the Bachman loco in the upper right is a type that escapes me now, but is quite uncommon and often fetches a pretty good price on ebay.

As for the blue box stuff, close-up of the blue-box tops doesn't do us any good. It'd be nice to see what's in them. Or at least, stack them up and take pictures of the end labels so we know what you've got. If you're wiling to post either of those, there might be something in the blue boxes I'd be interested in purchasing.

Working Mantua steam locos generally do well too. I'd hook up a couple pieces of track to the power supply and test them out.

If you do sell them, grouping the same-type hoppers into lots (as long as they have different numbers) might yield the best results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those Bachman BQ23-7 go for a lot more than they should at times, you also have a couple U25C's there if those are the correct boxes these were sold by AHM, but they were made by Rivarossi, Rivarossi has since retooled that model into a beautiful RTR version, but there are still a lot of folks out there who seek out the old original version, seen those go for $60-70 before, that Athearn GP38-2 could pull $20-40 depending, I've seen the old Athearns go for dirt cheap, and I've seen some go for gold prices just depends on what someone is looking for and willing to pay, the shake the box car kits $5-10, a lot of folks myself included still chase down the old blue box kits, sometimes those get bid up pretty good as well, as for the brass, there are a lot of collectors out there and one may be looking for that particular model, I got rid of all but a couple of my brass models long ago, best bet there is to search similar models on Ebay and see whats moving and what people are paying

·
Registered
258 Posts
The brass engine will be your money maker out of what you have in the pictures. i would definitely recommend to hook up some track to that power pack to see what runs and what doesn’t. Also if the lights operate in forward and reverse. The outcome of you testing them plays a big role in what they are worth.

Pull up eBay and search “Key Imports Brass HO“ or “Sunset Brass HO“ to get a better idea of what you have. The road name and style info is located on the end of the box which all plays a factor in the demand for the engine. The other items are pretty common items. A.H.M., Bachmann and Mantua brands are all budget manufacturers. The Athearn blue box items are actually a very popular brand but the market is saturated with the old blue box models bringing their values down.

I am curious as to what you were offered for all of the pieces to really get a idea if it’s a fair offer or not. That is up to you if you want to disclose that figure. Regardless you have about $500.00 + value in your items would be my estimate based on what I can see in the pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts