Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Genesis G66200 (CSX MP15-AC - 1173) it says it comes iwth a Tsunami Digital sound decoder for dc and dcc. I am running nce powercab and i have 2 other engines that run fine. this one looses power on and off straight away on the track. it will go 1/2 inch then stop and turn off then back on. anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Tommy

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Dirty wheels, dirty pickups. New or not, they should be cleaned. DCC is more particular about keeping things clean and shiny.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Is this a new loco or a used one? When this loco loses power, do the other locos also reset at the same time? If so, there could be a problem with the motor (this is what I experienced this past week) where it is shorting out the track. My solution was to disassemble the loco, remove the motor from the gearing, and apply DC power directly to the motor. There were a large amount of sparks coming from the motor initially, but after running the motor for about a minute they were almost completely gone. It also would have helped if I'd had some canned air to blow out the motor. I ran it for about 2-3 minutes, then reassembled the loco and it is running perfectly now.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Any time a loco stalls or pauses momentarily it is losing
electrical contact. Oily residue on the track or wheels
used to pickup track power will prevent good electrical
contact. Use an alcohol rag to clean all of your track
and use this simple way to clean the loco wheels:

Place a paper towel with a spot of alcohol onto
the track. Run the front wheels of the loco onto the
alcohol. Hold the loco by hand and run up the speed
so that the wheels spin in the spot. Do the same
with the rear wheels. And by all means do it with
all of your locos so they don't again 'dirty' the track.

If your loco still stalls check the metal 'wipers' that
rub on the wheels or axles. Make certain there is
no dirt stuck to them and that they are making
firm contact.

Some older locos do not have all wheel power
pickup. These are more likely to run rough due
to lack of smooth power from their wheels.

Don

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you take the other engines OFF the track, does it still stall out?
Are you thinking that the loco may be requiring more power than the power cab produces? I’ve ran into an issue where the locos will run excessively slow with sound because it took more power than the power cabs put out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts