Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and tried google but can't seem to find an answer.

Have an HO engine that get power but I have to nudge the motor to get it spinning. I cleaned the wheels to eliminate those.

Any ideas I am not overly familiar with HO and guidance is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
762 Posts
Is anyone familiar with LIMA engines? I heard some call this type of motor the(pancake motor) I don't know why:rolleyes:

I Cleaned the wheels and it seems to run a bit better, I have no idea how long the engine has been siting for without power:confused: And I was told this model was built between the 70's and 80's being 30 to 40 yrs old:eek: that's older than me!!:laugh:

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
EZ, this might help you >>> http://members.aol.com/JFuhrtrain/tuneup.htm

If not an Athearn, your locs drive is very similar.

BC, that is a pancake motor. You can tell by its flat shape and that its shaft runs perpendicular to the rails. Can you believe that Bachmann would put those in their earlier Northerns, Class "J"s and Mountains---the same motor as their little Brill Trolley and Plymouth switcher?

It is also a spur gear drive which can be noisy. Life Like used them alot in the 70s and 80s as well.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ah, thanks for the link, I never had a Athearn, I have two Bachman and two Lima. When the engine gets speed it gets noisy..like a whining sound.:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have searched and tried google but can't seem to find an answer.

Have an HO engine that get power but I have to nudge the motor to get it spinning. I cleaned the wheels to eliminate those.

Any ideas I am not overly familiar with HO and guidance is greatly appreciated
Does this happen every time you try to run the engine? If it happens only some of the time, it could be a burned out armature segment. If that's the case, the only solution is to replace the motor.

·
Registered
519 Posts
In the case of the pancake motor, you can quiet the motor by putting some grease on the gears in the drive truck. Also lightly oil the bearing holes on either side of the motor. Be careful not to get any oil in the brush cavities. Very small amounts is all that is needed.

Pertaining to the Athearn motor, the symptom you described could be a number of things. My first guess would be to much friction in the drive.
I would try rotating the fly wheels by hand. They should rotate freely. If you can feel any drag the you have a stiff bearing. Most likely in the truck tower top. These and the truck bears need a light plastic friendly oil.
Larry
www.llxlocomotives.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts