Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who is modelling a Logging layout?? and what you have done to get those beautiful United Brass Shays and Climaxes converted to DCC... I must say not much room in there once taken apart..!!! Plus some pics of your layout. I'm new to model railroading ( started a layout in Sept 2019 with a Rivarossi ) but have always wanted to do Logging one.. I grew up on Vancouver Island and Logging was king here in the 30's and 40's... Heislers, Shays,( Willamettes) and Climaxes where abundant .. In fact the United "Hillcrest" shay is of one here.. There is a forest museum here that has a collection of Shay's and Climaxes so anytime i need some details I pay a visit,,... gota love those geared steam

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I have plans to include a narrow-gauge logging route on my layout with a couple of 2-truck Shays, but unfortunately I don't have any equipment yet. The plans include some track winding along the mountain, with trees being transported to the mill in one town, then the rough-sawn lumber transported to another town for final processing where it can be shipped from a standard-gauge line. I've set myself up for some interesting timetables when the Shay is moving along one of the mainlines to bring loads to the mill.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
I had (and will have again) a small logging operation on my layout, but it's only one industry and the layout isn't devoted to logging operations.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have thought of a logging area on my layout but I haven’t come up with a good way of doing it yet

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just wondering who is modelling a Logging layout?? and what you have done to get those beautiful United Brass Shays and Climaxes converted to DCC... I must say not much room in there once taken apart..!!! Plus some pics of your layout. I'm new to model railroading ( started a layout in Sept 2019 with a Rivarossi ) but have always wanted to do Logging one.. I grew up on Vancouver Island and Logging was king here in the 30's and 40's... Heislers, Shays,( Willamettes) and Climaxes where abundant .. In fact the United "Hillcrest" shay is of one here.. There is a forest museum here that has a collection of Shay's and Climaxes so anytime i need some details I pay a visit,,... gota love those geared steam
Well I got a start...been working every day on the layout...inherited a lot of cars and track from my late cousin.

Started in late Feb/early March.....

Still got a lot to do...got all the track down except for two sidings which will happen today...in the plans yet to be built is a Sawmill using Slaty Fork as an idea, and a icing platform....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice pics Hershey , I see you might have a line with a grade.. So what can we expect as a maximum grade to go up for these engines ( Spectrum Climax , Shay ect) ??? And with maybe 7-8 log cars in tow??
It's funny i still have to rap my head around some of the scale sizes ... for example, my trees can be 1.25 " in dia and 24" tall.. Thats a 8' dia 160' tall tree, common here in the 30's.. I even see some like that today... Still learning the DCC stuff ( have a NCE power cab ), and I went with Micro Engineering code 100, I do have a spur line and tried code 83 but wanted to be safe with running older cars and engines.. Here's some pics .. I tried something different, I built cabinets for under the layout (3/4" ply from Home Depot ) and the layout is basically the counter top. Thanks to Bob Ross ( Joy of Painting TV show), A fan brush and some cheap acrylic artist paint I painted the back drop.. . Other pics are of some of the sections iv'e worked on.. I must say, this Covid thing has allowed a lot of time for this..

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice pics Hershey , I see you might have a line with a grade.. So what can we expect as a maximum grade to go up for these engines ( Spectrum Climax , Shay ect) ??? And with maybe 7-8 log cars in tow??
It's funny i still have to rap my head around some of the scale sizes ... for example, my trees can be 1.25 " in dia and 24" tall.. Thats a 8' dia 160' tall tree, common here in the 30's.. I even see some like that today... Still learning the DCC stuff ( have a NCE power cab ), and I went with Micro Engineering code 100, I do have a spur line and tried code 83 but wanted to be safe with running older cars and engines.. Here's some pics .. I tried something different, I built cabinets for under the layout (3/4" ply from Home Depot ) and the layout is basically the counter top. Thanks to Bob Ross ( Joy of Painting TV show), A fan brush and some cheap acrylic artist paint I painted the back drop.. . Other pics are of some of the sections iv'e worked on.. I must say, this Covid thing has allowed a lot of time for this..
Wow, just wow!!!! I feel like a piker after looking at your work...
Haven't measured the grade yet, but have run an 0-4-0 with 4 cars up it to test...I'm planning on sending my Shay and Heisler out to a DCC shop for adding decoders...haven't done that yet...been running on old DC to check track etc..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Rivarossi Heisler... nice .. I'm about 3 hours from Comox 😉.. let see some more pics ... mesenteria..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ive been thinking of adding a branchline with a logging operation. But not sure yet😞

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a branch line planned. Unfortunately things are on hold and packed away for moving. Ugh, now there's a nightmare.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a branch line planned. Unfortunately things are on hold and packed away for moving. Ugh, now there's a nightmare.
Ouch, i hate moving. It must suck for people that have a permanant layout😦

·
Registered
559 Posts
this is why im not doing much...
i have a 10x6.6 with 0 on top as im learning how to wire o22 switches, run them, multiple throttles, etc... all buildings, coal and logs boxed up...
under the table i just threw together a 4x6.6 small gap then another 4x6.6 to run some H/O.. once again. to mess with how dc switching works, etc...
been fun but cant really setup much as i am working on our house and in 6m - 1y i want to move...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ouch, i hate moving. It must suck for people that have a permanant layout😦
Yes, it does. We had a 8'X12' N scale with all track down and just started landscaping when we had to move. Sadly by the end of the move the layout looked like it had been moved by a tornado and shoved in the garage by a hurricane. I swore never again. Our current layout is HO on 6' folding tables.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
That looks great. I love mountain railroads.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Here are a few pics of my layout so far....the start of a small hill and a pond to the left of the hill..
In your last picture you have what looks like a small work car? I recognize that style as something commonly used with a crane and steam donkey mounted onboard, but haven't seen it used for anything else. Is there a name for that style? Could you provide a little detail about how your railroad is using that car, or maybe some ideas of what other purposes they could fulfill? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts