Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the couplers work ok ,is there some way to connect one to the K D type on my tender or do I have to replace at least one so that it will mate up with my tender
these are Riverossi (spelling could be wrong) cars does not look easy to replace couplers.Help

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You need them to match. There is no adapter.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Show us a photo of the coupler and coupler box on the Riverossi.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Put an express reefer between the passenger and engine. KD on one end of the reefer hornhook on the other end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
829 Posts
Put an express reefer between the passenger and engine. KD on one end of the reefer hornhook on the other end.
Mr Shearer is right on. I've got "adapter" baggage cars for a couple loco/consist situations where I've got a KD on one and Horn-hooks on the other. At this point I'm not even sure I'll ever bother going KDs on a few of my passenger consists.

Show us a photo of the coupler and coupler box on the Riverossi.
Definitely. I bet we can get you sorted with a new coupler.
Depending on the type, there are McHenry and KD long-armed coupler mechanisms that should clip or otherwise be compatible with your Rivarossi passenger trucks. Alternatively, you could replace the entire truck. You could also body mount a coupler on the passenger car, but if you're running tight curves, the hangover from the passenger car might be problematic.

If the horn-hooks on the Rivs are doing well and the loco will be run with them exclusively, it wouldn't be the worst idea to try putting a Horn-hook on your tender. If nothing else, just to try the free option before others. I'd be happy to send you a few different types to try out if you need some.

·
Registered
453 Posts
On the ones I’ve got I ended up converting them to body mounted couplers but I have pretty long curves on my layout where you would find a passenger car. I have a couple of tight spots but that’s at a couple of industries that I intentionally made that way to limit the size and pulling power of the locomotive doing those jobs. If you have long sweeping turns body mounting is the most efficient way to go about it that I’ve found. Kd offers a conversion kit that comes with a pair of conversion draft gear boxes and it’s only like $2 a set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts