Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built over the last couple days a switching layout. It is 1 foot wide by 6 foot long. There is a 3 foot extension for staging as well.
Glasses Wood Tree Art Font

The underside electrical feed wires are connected to a small section of flex track, and in this application makes for a clean look.
Wood Electrical wiring Metal Wire Electrical supply

I sprayed the track, using Rustoleum Satin Expresso.
Automotive tire Azure Textile Wood Grey

I added my base coat scenery (a very fine sand), and woodland scenics products this morning.
Train Wheel Rolling stock Motor vehicle Vehicle

Train Wood Rolling stock Track Railway

Grass Plant Wood Groundcover Parallel

I’ll update some of the small detailing projects this upcoming week. Also, going to install a sound decoder, and a speaker in the 20 foot container, which will give my regular dcc locos the ability to have sound….cheers ☕🍩

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Nicely done.
1 question. I see you masked off the wood when painting the ties, odd IMO as it was going to get covered, but I’m curious what method you used for masking the rail heads? The rail webs were painted but not the heads (tread surface).

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right, masking wasn’t required, but I masked because I didn’t think I’d get scenery on the next day.(i like the”clean” look). Only the turnout points have a strip of tape to protect them from paint, as any paint that gets in that area in hard to clean effectively. I sprayed 2 feet at a time, and clean the top of the rail with a rag(that has some lacquer thinner on it). The paint is still wet, and is removed quite easily. It’s in my best interest not to spray paint to far ahead, as I need to hit the rails from each side, letting it dry makes the removal much harder. The scenery from start to finish was maybe a hour (it’s only six square feet)….cheers🇨🇦

·
Registered
873 Posts
You are going to have a blast-o-fun with the logistics in working a switching layout. One thing nice about what you are doing is it is expandable and flexable to future expansion and enhancments. A layout you can take wherever you go and a good piece for reference in future project......you may enhance, mimic, or change design since you know its capibilities.
Will be looking forward to seeing any future progress so I subscribed to your thread here....keep the progress coming!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some of the fun stuff with the layout…adding details….
Train Rolling stock Track Mode of transport Railway

I made my own static grass tuffs. Put some white glue on a piece of glass, and added the static grass. I use the Peco static applicator. I ordered some 7 mm in a medium and dark green. I had 2 mm and 4 mm, but I think it needs to be a little more exaggerated to better sell the static grass. After the glue drys, it’s easily removed from the glass with a sharp knife. The next static grass tufts will be made on wax paper, so that I can make more in one sitting….☕🍩
Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Grass Public space

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
And even different seasons. I had long thought about an around 4 walls layout with the corners blocked off with fascia to the ceiling, isolating each wall scene, and doing each season. But 4ft shelves are way more practical. And easier to sell if that desire arises.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s a good idea….something to think about, I can see doing fall for sure. The nice thing about doing that is I’m only committing to 4 square feet….
I’ve ordered a Walthers locomotive shed, and my inspiration for the staging yard in the future is the photo…..I’m only going to model half the structure, the boxcars, and storage track area. Once I get on that section, I’ll keep adding to this thread…cheers☕🍩🇨🇦
Train Vehicle Water Rolling stock Track

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I brought from a dollar store a simple box for my dcc connection. Basically 2 wires from the layout go to the box. I did this because there are times when I need this connection for my dcc decoder tester. I’m going to look for a connector that will be a plug in, therefore making it easy to disconnect….cheers🇨🇦
Wood Gas Technology Audio equipment Cable

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Simple solution for that. Check Home Depot or similar. Lighting/Electrical dept. There are quick dis/connectors for light ballasts when one needs to be swapped. On my previous N empire I had one on my track bus, with another on my DC power pack leads, and one on my NCE leads, because most N locos were DC. There are other types of quick connectors too in that area, but chose those because I’ve used them for their intended purpose and was familiar with them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Chops….I built this because I like creating, and keeping my modelling skills sharp….this layout is a test platform for new skills. This will be interesting to see where this ends up. I’ll keep it for the next year, for a train show…cheers☕🍩🇨🇦

1 - 20 of 24 Posts