Model Train Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I have two signals on my layout just for that purpose. One is wired backwards for what you would expect the aspect to display for an oncoming train, but both are for my benefit so I can tell which track is the through track at a station halt for two hidden turnouts.

Having the backwards signal display the correct aspect is too confusing for me while switching tracks with multiple moving trains.

·
Registered
936 Posts
A thousand bucks for signals? That's a lot of groceries. I hope I can do mine for less than that. Glad to hear that it works well for you though.
The cost mostly depends on how many blocks and signal heads you need/want. I’ve got 32 blocks and 41 signal heads on my layout. Signals are implemented on my mainline and main yard. I don’t have signals on my secondary industrial sidings. I also don’t have signals on hidden mainline track. I’ve got computer control to monitor hidden blocks and turnouts. I hate to admit it, but I also have over $1k invested in my signals. They do look tremendous.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The cost mostly depends on how many blocks and signal heads you need/want. I’ve got 32 blocks and 41 signal heads on my layout. Signals are implemented on my mainline and main yard. I don’t have signals on my secondary industrial sidings. I also don’t have signals on hidden mainline track. I’ve got computer control to monitor hidden blocks and turnouts. I hate to admit it, but I also have over $1k invested in my signals. They do look tremendous.
Wow using a computer must save some serious money, I've only got 8 signals and blocks. My layout is tiny in comparison to yours, having that many blocks is only a dream right now :LOL: I can just watch my signals for hours though!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Wow using a computer must save some serious money, I've only got 8 signals and blocks. My layout is tiny in comparison to yours, having that many blocks is only a dream right now :LOL: I can just watch my signals for hours though!
The computer control meant that I already had block detectors (Digitrax BDL168s) in place, so I didn't count that as part of my signal cost. I also used turnout motor controllers (Digitrax SE8Cs) that double up as signal drivers, so I didn't count that either. I probably have another $1K in the computer and Digitrax hardware. So my signal cost was mainly the signal heads themselves. I scratch built a few cantilever signal bridges mostly because I couldn't find any in stock on the internet that was the right kind for my layout. The majority of my signals are built from kits made by Showcase Miniatures. They were kind enough to offer a bit of discount because of my large order. I purchased this all several years ago when I still had a good paying job. I've since retired. I wouldn't spend that much money on my railroad if I was building it new today.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts