Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I wanted get opinions from other people on what spirit of UP locomotive is better, MTH's version or Athearn's version?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
An athearn Genesis version? Ok I don't own either. I do own 1 Genesis "2.0" sd90. Anyway because the athearn uses I would think a top line DCC sound decoder... And maybe the detail could better than mth also. I'd be favoring the athearn ... Have to be convinced otherwise really to go with the mth. But again it'd be great to hear from someone that owns them or did a real comparison. I tried to find such a review with Google but nothing yet...

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Sounds like personal preference...
I assume both are sound equipped.
IMO,, the Athearn is a better choice because it's more generically DCC friendly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have both an Athearn and an MTH locomotive and I personally think both of them have astonishing detail and sound but when It comes to this special edition locomotive(UP/spirit of UP) I'm having trouble picking one.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I just watched a couple of reviews. There's an athearn one by jlwii and recent one for mth by the same. I think the athearn looks a tad better. I agree with some that beefy metal rails are pragmatically nice ... This is in the mth. But the scale look for the flimsy plastic ones is better on the athearn. I think the athearn sounds a tad better. I'm a little familiar with mth in o scale. In fact I have an mth o scale sd70ace. Same sound I think. Certainly these are nice. I don't think you can go to far wrong out of the box with either. As for DCS and DCC ... I really don't quite know what they don't give you in their DCC. Of the DCC cards I have there literally 100s of CV s I never fiddle with. No doubt mth would love for you to buy a DC's system. But it's not clear you will feel the need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts