Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
That is the older MU2 motor, which is pretty durable. I'd give it a contact cleaner spray, the gears a drop of oil, and clean the pick up wheels. The traction tires may be dried out, Calumets are best for the job, though you may break the mounting pins when the bogie frame is removed. Crazy Glue puts it back on.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Phone booths used to be everywhere. I remember always checking the receiver to make sure someone had not stuck gum to the ear piece. Struggling to get the change in to slot with frozen fingers, or being in a sauna during summer. Nice grab.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I know diddly about Southern Indiana. What does one do on vacation there? I am thinking of trying to do a trip to Alaska in early September, when the leaves start to turn. Got a $4 K city tax bill I have to settle up first. :(

·
Registered
940 Posts
Do you know of anyone who might refurbish my '65 Ranchero? Been having a terrible time getting proper mechanical help.

You asked about making HO hay bales. You seem like a do-it-yourselfer, but if you feel lazy, I found this at Hobby Lobby if you feel...slobby, as in lazy.

Natural material Auto part Font Fashion accessory Jewellery

www.sceneryproducts.com

·
Registered
940 Posts
You been busy between macramé and glamping. Spent my summers loading hay bales by hand. Really devastating, dusty work under a hot sun. But followed up with a cool swim in lake; ah, it was good. Interesting contraption going on there. Never seen the like of it, before.

Well, they say "boat" means a hole in the water you throw money into, or, "Bust Out Another Thousand," and this old Ranchero has been a cash vacuum. I'm looking at an easy 10k more for interior and body work, and am pondering running the gauntlet and taking it into Juarez, Mexico, right across the Rio Grande from where I live and maybe get the work done for 5K. Doing business in Mexico is not for the faint of heart. A lot can go wrong.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Definitely cute enough, but worth a decoder? Bit like throwing pearls before swine, no? The Campbell's Soup caboose turn up on eBay from time to time. it was part of a set, methinks.

·
Registered
940 Posts
SF Gal: Patron Saint of Lost Model Railroad Causes :D
Please give me first refusal before you bin any of that cheap "grocery store" trash.Occasionally, some of those promo items, like Chef Boyardie, off the cuff, will fetch some coin. For lunk heads such as myself, the kool factor is what we care about, not its resale value.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Planned obsolescence? Particularly these AHM critters. They work fine for a few hours out of the box, and deteriorate quickly with use. I won't touch them anymore. Made to fail. Now, we shall hear from all those who will say that there AHM piece(s) are humming along nicely after forty years. I dunno. I never had that kind of luck. Split gears, shot traction tires, peculiar conductivity problems that evaded identification, motors coming loose in their attachement points; I never had any luck with them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts