Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Al’s Victory Service might be a good kit. It comes with 2 or 3 styles of pumps, including the blocky 1970s-80s style if that’s important?

If a wood kit (and price tag) doesn’t scare you, JL Innovatives Storm Lake is fun. I built one with a modified drum roof.
Gas Font Tints and shades Midnight Facade

My dad since altered it more, making the pump island lights working, adding an interior, interior lights, and he even added sound to it… the ding line/bell line and bell of someone pulling in. Fun build.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I had to find a daytime picture of it....Nice looking kit, that's for sure!

Curious what the drum is made of...plastic so you can illuminate the whole top? Looks like a $40 kit.
I am a little squimish about exact scale as the last cheapo station was small. I might have to visually see one in person....IDK.
The drum in the kit is a cardboard shipping tube. I didn’t discard it but used it as a template to make a double layer (double thickness or 2 ply) clear styrene drum, and a common shipping tube cap for the recessed top. This was many years ago. JL Innovative really loved the idea. They may have since changed the cardboard tube in the kit(?) but as I’ve not seen many others done in a similar fashion I cannot confirm it.
Bugging my dad to send me current photos or maybe video of it and his night scene “main drag” as I think folks here would really dig it. He’s got 1950s music playing at the A&W drive in, etc.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
All classic structures, presented in full nostalgic glory. Normally these things get modified (that general store looks suspiciously like a house I did)… But seeing them all in their “box cover form” is a warm tickle. It’s nice to see for a change.
One of these days I’ll post photos of what I did to that pool. It’s barely recognizable.

The pockets you mentioned you make… is that different from the floors & walls inside structures?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I don’t know what type of camera you use, but a balsa wood unipod will steady it. You could use anything, but I say balsa because it’s so light weight that if it fell onto a structure it’s unlikely to do any damage. The top end just needs some sort of cradle/fork to hug whatever camera you use.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
balsa tripod seems expensive I’d go with a cpl wee drams of your favorite whisky 😉
Looking good really making loads of progress 👍
ps I know the whisky won’t stop a blurry snapshot but it will make you not mind it so much :cool:
Nah, just a Unipod. An 8”-12” balsa stick to steady the cam.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Looks like 80F coming a week from today. Might need a weekend to sort what all needs painting. Remove safetys from the paint bombs on monday.
Point being don’t wait until the good weather hits to prepare.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You don’t need to do all that. Just function map the headlight (or reverse light function wired to standard cab/board LED). You can change the function parameters, or how the function functions. I did it following the NCE PowerCab manual instructions to make head end number boards lit in any direction unless I turn all the lights off. You don’t need anything special to do it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I’ve actually been wondering how many folks, or if any, represent actual people on their layouts? I create figures of people who’ve influenced me, and try to capture their appearance adequately.
I “figure-bashed” my boss from my very first job (had to swap heads so it looked like him).
Without question I’ll have a figure of my pops and probably my younger self as a throw back to a visit to my prototype town.
Planning to have a @Trackjockey05, a @Raege, a @SF Gal, and 1 British car with a Jon Grant (don’t think he’s a member here).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts