Model Train Forum banner
61 - 80 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
The little tykes cars are funny! Got one around my neighborhood with the wind up key on the back :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: SF Gal

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
giggle...the wind up key would have been perfect for the car, so fun!
Well, I started digging into some of the cheap "gifted Locomotives I have and I think I will clean them up and try to sell them or maybe if they can't be repaired, put them in a diaorama to sell...
This is a Mantua/Tyco pioneer piece, all rivited together... sigh....
should I even bother to drill out the rivits or just spray it down with contact cleaner?
Bulb is burn't out, runs sluggish, needs a good cleaning.
Maybe put the whole assembly in my ultrasonic cleaner.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Rolling

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rotorcraft Helicopter Bumper

I want to change it out to LED and I was thinking of buying a dozen or so reversable LEDs...anyone have a link where they bought their locomotive LED's?
On a semi- related note, my Ebay purchases came in today and I am super happy...woohoo!
Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Toy Trunk

Not much work today as I am leaving on a vacation in the morning, so packing was a top priority.
So this thread just got derailed to at least May....but it is still.....

...A Work in Progress!....Stay tuned!...

·
Registered
940 Posts
That is the older MU2 motor, which is pretty durable. I'd give it a contact cleaner spray, the gears a drop of oil, and clean the pick up wheels. The traction tires may be dried out, Calumets are best for the job, though you may break the mounting pins when the bogie frame is removed. Crazy Glue puts it back on.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Nice find Raege, so where do you find something like that on the cheap, the Brimfield Antique Flea Market?
Wish you had a bigger picture of it... I might spring for one of those after I get through fixing and cleaning evertyhing I currently have.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
61 bucks on ebay bid. Will toss a bigger pic when it arrives

Reactions: SF Gal

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Would love to see what you do with the doodlebug Raege, it's "Groovy!". Today is unpack day from vacation.
I went shopping for beach wear down in Florida and searched for a hobby shop close but it's like a model railroad train desert out there, not one store! But I did find a resale shop were I got some farm implements and Hobby Lobby where I got more people, horses, a hobby motor for a future project, and a desoildering tool as mine is getting wore out....
Wheel Toy Vehicle Plastic Auto part

Later if I am up to it, I might be working on the railroad as here in the upper midwest it is still nasty, weatherwise.
Still no outdoor activity to slow my train activities...but soon the weatherman sez, so we will see.
I did bring back enough warm weather to stop future frost warnings but gosh, I am missing the warm sun already! Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!! I still have my layout to keep me busy, so that's good.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Looks like 80F coming a week from today. Might need a weekend to sort what all needs painting. Remove safetys from the paint bombs on monday.
Point being don’t wait until the good weather hits to prepare.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
Thanks for the LED link Mike...still seeking bi directional too.
I have a electronic engineer with 50 years experience looking into what I want to do, may be just a diode application problem.
My main issue is I want F7 cab and number plate on in any direction, on a DC Locomotive.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You don’t need to do all that. Just function map the headlight (or reverse light function wired to standard cab/board LED). You can change the function parameters, or how the function functions. I did it following the NCE PowerCab manual instructions to make head end number boards lit in any direction unless I turn all the lights off. You don’t need anything special to do it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
I suppose you are correct...I better hook up my DCC to my test track as I currently had to use the DC transformer to test all the "gifted" DC locomotives I have. I think I need a dedicated DC test track and a DCC program track. I have been using my program track to test DC loco's...duh! Thanks for the heads up! I have been slow to get all my DCC stuff tested and running as I have so many DC locomotives to test/fix/clean and convert. Making another track soon! The reason to test the DC stuff before converting is pretty clear but some of it I want to leave DC and sell off, mostly the non Santa Fe and cheap brand stuff. Now my electrical engineer want me to use 2 LEDs for bi directional for DC being he doesnt understand how one LED working both ways in bright white is preferred using the existing incandencant light location. After explaining that fact, he said I can use one LED with a bridge recectifier but the voltage drop won't light the LED till about 4 volts. He states I will not find a bright white bi-directional LED, they do not make them...hmmmm.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks for the LED link Mike...still seeking bi directional too.
I have a electronic engineer relative looking into what I want to do, may be just a diode application problem.
My main issue is I want F7 cab and number plate on in any direction.
Candy, if you use a bridge rectifier between the input wires and the LED, it will work in DC for both forward and reverse.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
Candy, if you use a bridge rectifier between the input wires and the LED, it will work in DC for both forward and reverse.
Ya after I finally got my electrical engineer to understand one LED was preferred he showed me the bridge rectifier circuit...I have a few 4004 and they should work fine....so wish we still had a Radio Shack around. Where am I gonna find more diodes if I need them...paying postage for simple components stinks!
Sorry if all my ramblings about electronics is confusing but I am working with DC AND DCC at the same time and in my blonde head, I get mixed up about what I am keeping DC and what I am changing over to DCC...and all the varibles needed to understand the different ways LED wiring works between the two.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ya after I finally got my electrical engineer connection to understand one LED was prefered he showed me the bridge rectifier circuit...I have a few 4004 and they should work fine....so wish we still had a Radio Shack around. Where am I gonna fine more if I need them...paying postage for simple components stinks!
I believe you could use a 1A 50V bridge rectifier and it would produce pretty bright lighting on a 12 - 16 v circuit. Maybe a DF005S might work. At current gas prices...shipping might not be too bad an idea, if you have to drive in Chicago traffic to any electronic store around. :oops:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
While cleaning out my luggage from vacation I found another jem I found at a antique store in Florida.
This old school Lifelike Scenic kit comes with 2 telephones with fake lights, 2 soda machines, a telephone booth, 3 street garbage cans, and six fire hydrants....
Wood Wall Font Artifact Religious item

I ended up paying about $7 for the item as I really wanted the fire hydrants and interesting street cans. The rest of the stuff was a bonus, I suppose. I thought I got a okay deal. Of course coming back to cold damp weather got me a chill, and I caught a cold. So my work on the railroad is on hold again! Drat.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Phone booths used to be everywhere. I remember always checking the receiver to make sure someone had not stuck gum to the ear piece. Struggling to get the change in to slot with frozen fingers, or being in a sauna during summer. Nice grab.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Well, between cleaning house and smelling/ breathing cleaning fluids in the bathroom and kitchen, I took a break and did some work on the hobbie bench today.
It is rainy and cold outside here today in the upper midwest so I am indoors today!
So, I went through three locomotives.
If they are currently DC, I am leaving them DC.
Once all the DC locomotives are ready to run, then I will take the best of those and convert them to DCC.
Out of the three, one needs new round carbon brushes as the motor had power ar the motor springs holding the brushes in place.
The unit below did not have ANY identifying manifacture marks and found the copper buss bar from the front and back axle feeder brush was missing.....
Liquid Plastic bottle Bottle Gas Drink

So I soldered a wire in place and added LED lights on both sides of the engine to illuminate the headlights depending on which way the loco is moving. I used liquid wrench to hose down any conjealed gear grease and then applied some PTFE grease on the gears and sprayed doen the motor with CRC contact cleaner.
Liquid Solution Fluid Cosmetics Bottle

The loco was also missing the coupler boxes and couplers so I added some Kadee couplers on the loco. Unit ran very well in DC mode.
Train Engineering Circuit component Saw Gas

Another locomotive was of the exact same design, with no manifactures markings and that one had it's motor buss bar.
It only needed a good cleaning and relube...I also added LED lights for both directions.
Some of these locomotives are old, 80's stuff....I am sure I am going to have a few parts loco's in this collection of gifted locomotives....
On another front, I am starting to collect more parts for a fuel depot. When I was at the store, I seen a Lifelike refueling depot made out of derlict tank cars.....

So instead of buying the $15 model, I am going to kitbash something similar. I also have some tanks from perfume spray bottles and a cardboard roll that needs a roof....
Rectangle Hat Wood Floor Cylinder

so I will see what I can come up with.
I also saw a sanding station I can kitbash. I already have a sand bin....
Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Gas

I found a good deal for 6 of these silver electrical box enclosures for $2 as they were in a previous owned area of a local hobby store that buys whole layouts and repackages everything... (dont mind the exposed and cracked plaster...the area isn't finished, this side of the tracks)
Train Track Toy Urban design Mode of transport

And I still have over 100 figures to place around the layout and a few horses too...
Technology Engineering Toy Publication Recreation

I am working on a farm on the back corner of the layout and the horses will go there...somewhere.
Does anyone know how to kitbash haybales? Can't be that hard to make them look realistic.
Building Window House Christmas decoration Urban design

I lot of the layout is just build and place without weathering or adding major details. I did find some more fire hydrants, another phone booth, 2 more soda machines, and 3 more garbage cans in another antique find, now I have 2 packages!
Wood Font Gas Machine Electronic device

But alias, my continuing efforts are majorly on going through all the gifted DC locomotives.
That's my update for the rest of the week and possibly the month, depending on the weather.
Just can stay indoors when the weather is nice , here, in the upper midwest.

61 - 80 of 164 Posts