1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to have the original motor but that is probably a pipe dream but I would love to see it on the track running. If I put another motor in it I would not want to do any drilling or altering the car. Any thoughts on mounting would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ed......there was some great information there. Keep your eyes out for an original motor:) Appreciate you!

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Good luck on that.
I think the motor is attached to the body like my Flying Yankee locomotive.
The 616 Yankee motor has a ball on the top it rides in the slot in the top of the body.

So the body "floats" on the motor.
A 616 motor might work. I can't find a picture of mine to show the ball on the motor.
You need to take pictures of the inside so we can see what is there.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
I found a picture on e bay of the motor.
See the ball on top it slips into that slot.
that is the only thing holding the motor in place on the 616.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ed,you are awesome! I will go to my building Thursday and take a picture of the inside so we can see what is going on. Again....I appreciate you and I can see that thing running already! Ralph

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I think the mounting is different. Looks like it's two brackets on the bottom of the motor frame that attach to the bottom of the body. Probably not difficult to fabricate something to adapt a different motor, but not quite a drop in fit either.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Thanks Jake, I couldn't find a picture of the underside. I think he will have a hard time finding an original motor.
Depending on the curve size it looks like the wheels would scrape the body sometimes with that mounting setup?
It looks like another motor would work if you could fabricate something on the ends so it mounts? Just have to measure the height of the motor to make sure it fits in the compartment.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
What is the wire in there for? Is that the passenger car? It has lights?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Mount a 50 caliber where the headlight is and add some wings, you could hang it up over the layout.
A good conversation piece. :geek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Ed,Mike and Jake.....I am patient. I will clean it up and display it and wait for a motor or an alternative.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Here's a Link detailing various Marx motors. Scroll towards the bottom to diesel motors. You'll notice a few with a top mounting plate to allow it to swivel. Seems like a retrofit would be possible. Marx motors are very reliable. Regardless the acquired condition, a little maintenance and they run like new. And many Marx loco's can be had for a song on eBay. You'll have to evaluate the height and width for fit. Perhaps others here have the relevant motors and can provide measurements.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts