Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering tearing out my current layout and starting over in either Sn3 or On30. I would like to use Homasote and/or Homa bed as the bed for my hand laid track work. Does any one know if either Homa Bed; or, Homasote is still available? If not, what have you used for track bed that hold spikes well?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Unfortunately Cascade Rail Supply appears to have closed. An alternative to Homasote might be 1/4" drywall. Take a little work to curve it, but is does hold spikes!

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Homasote is very much available in The US. Check with your local
home building suppliers. Not all of them carry it.

I used Homasote atop 1/4" plywood for my N scale layout some years ago.
I used Atlas N scale flex track which I easily attached to the Homasote using
scale track 'nails'. You don't hammer them in, however. Use a long nose
pliers to literally PRESS the nail thru the holes in the ties and into the Homasote.

Don

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Cascade Rail Supply sold milled homasote (homabed), looked like the stuff in the video. Really nice roadbed to work with. But now I don't know of any other supplier. As mentioned in the video, you can make it yourself but without a vacuum it will be very messy! CRS eliminated the mess.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Homasote was renamed by the Homasote manufacturer to Sound Barrier Board. It is the original Homasote.
If you decide to mill your own Homasote I strongly recommend that you do it outdoors. The dust goes everywhere. If you want your spouse to allow you keep building trains, heed my advice. It is also tough on saw blades. Start with a good, new blade. Had a friend who decided to cut the Homasote in the garage with the door open. Made the usual dust mess which he got all swept up. Then he dropped the garage door, and had to start cleaning up all over again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts