My latest project other than e learning with my son is building my own version of the dapol track cleaning car. I started with an old non operational hi-f athearn rdc and pulled the motor out of it. I cleaned up the wheels and trucks and set them aside. My next thing was milling out an area for the track pad to go. I milked out the under side of the frame so the pad would be centered and have plenty of clearance to be able to move. I built a motor mount out of 16 gauge steel and drilled a hole to hold the motor. I centered the hole and glued it to the old body clips. I used dc going straight to the motor while in my vise to be able to file down the motor shaft and keep it round then I installed the motor. I installed the abrasive pad to the motor and tested it on a scrap section of track then glued the motor down. Once the glue cured I installed a small dz series digitrax decoder to the car. Once car was together I re tested it on the scrap track. I put it on my layout and now my layout has almost mirror image clean rail heads. I built this car because the dapol one was under powered in my opinion and it works excellent. It utilizes the dapol cleaning pads still so I can order them on line and have an awesome track cleaning train!
2.3 MB Views: 59