Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got a Shay loco in HOn3 and also ordered a log car. The Shay is just fine but the log car appears to be nothing but an N scale car.
The trucks, wheels and couplers are just not HO scale. Even all the under car details are smaller. It is from Mirco-Trains and says HOn3 30' log car.

Question is this normal for HOn3? :dunno: or should the trucks and couplers be HO scale. Is this the way HOn3 cars are sold?

The SP flat is 35' (5 1/2") The log car is 4" (30'?) Certainly not a 35' and 30' scale if you ask me. The width of the car is not right either in my opinion.
HOn3 HO1.jpg

HOn3 HO2.jpg

HOn3 Ho 3.jpg

Looks like an N scale car to me.
If this is what they sell as HOn3 don't think I'll be buying any more.
This is my first HOn3 car so I have nothing to compare it with.

Magic

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,320 Posts
I just recently got a Shay loco in HOn3 and also ordered a log car. The Shay is just fine but the log car appears to be nothing but an N scale car.
The trucks, wheels and couplers are just not HO scale. Even all the under car details are smaller. It is from Mirco-Trains and says HOn3 30' log car.

Question is this normal for HOn3? :dunno: or should the trucks and couplers be HO scale. Is this the way HOn3 cars are sold?

The SP flat is 35' (5 1/2") The log car is 4" (30'?) Certainly not a 35' and 30' scale if you ask me. The width of the car is not right either in my opinion.

Looks like an N scale car to me.
If this is what they sell as HOn3 don't think I'll be buying any more.
This is my first HOn3 car so I have nothing to compare it with.

Magic

Well it is narrow gauge in HO size to run on N scale track right?
I don't know too much about it.

But there is HOn30 and then there is HOn3.

I found this,
Simply put, "HOn30" refers to HO scale models that operate on N scale track. HOn30 has been adopted by model railroaders who use commercially available N scale track products. This gauge is commonly used to represent two-foot gauge railways. These modelers accept the gauge compromise and relieve the burden of handlaying track. The gauge of N scale track (9mm) scales out to nearly 31" in HO. Most American narrow gauge railroads were built to either two foot or three foot gauge, though 30" is a common narrow gauge standard throughout the rest of the world. Throughout Europe, HOn30 is known as "HOe." While the trains may run on N scale track, all structures, figures, vehicles and other modeled elements are HO scale.

HOn3 uses HO scale models that operate on 10.5mm gauge track to replicate true three foot gauge. Hobbyists going this route often build their own track, but HOn3 has always enjoyed the largest selection of prebuilt turnouts and flextrack. Once brass locomotives and craftsman rolling stock kits were the only way to equip an HOn3 roster. In recent years there has been an explosion of ready-to-run HOn3 rolling stock and locomotives, with more on the way. Of course, while the rails may be narrow, all structures, figures, vehicles and other modeled elements are HO scale.

While always the most popular of the narrow gauge modeling scales, HO scale narrow gauge modelers now enjoy a wider range of commercially available products than ever before. Many modelers appreciate the whimsical qualities of freelancing their own line, while others enjoy recreating history in miniature. Whether you choose HOn3 or HOn3O, hopefully this brief introduction will encourage you to "think narrow!"

Maybe you have one of each.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ed :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I should have been more clear about the SP flat, it's HO gauge.

By what you posted what I need is true HOn3 not HOn30, don't want N gauge track etc.
The HOn30 stuff doesn't match up with the Shay loco.
This piece of junk has N scale couplers???? and N wheels which puts everything too low.
Anyway it's going back. :mad:

If anyone knows who builds true HOn3 stuff please let me know.

As to that article "think narrow" I've been narrow minded for years.

Magic

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,320 Posts
I thought it looked kind of big, the wheels too.

Like I said, I don't know. :eek:

I didn't know there was an HOn3, I found that.
I heard of HOn30 but never had any.

I do have On30, O scale that runs on HO gauge track.:D

Shaygetz might be the one that knows more.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually Ed the SP flat is the correct size wheels trucks and couplers, only difference should be the gauge of the trucks. It's the log car that is off at least as far as I can tell.
:dunno: That's why I posted this, to find out before I try to return the log car.
Need some help here. :confused:

Magic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts