Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone ever encountered one of those awful sellers that show you pics and give a description of an item, but send it in a horrible state? I bought a 2-8-0 Consolidation, and when it finally arrived it was wrecked! Gears were shot, bell missing, wheels binding, scratched paintwork, steps on tender busted. Man I was ticked! Then after I left feedback he contacted me and accused ME of breaking it! The nerve of it...anyway, I ranted at him and then, out of nowhere he just mentions that hes a millionaire that owns a successful business, yada, yada, yada...Its people like that, that make me unsure of Ebay purchases, usually in circumstances like that, its the seller apologizing, not making excuses and blaming the buyer. I salvaged whatever parts of it I could for another loco that I'm currently rebuilding.

Registered
Not as bad as yours, but I had a guy send me a repro cast iron floor train with virtually no padding. One of the axles broke in transit. The guy gave me a partial refund. Enough to but a spare car for its axle. This guy wasn鈥檛 awful, but I just can鈥檛 imagine sending something as heavy and brittle as a cast iron train without plenty of packaging to pad it on it鈥檚 trip.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Lucky you! This guy is a real piece of work...I'm still trying to get a refund, but he won't do it just because I left some negative feedback on the condition of the loco...

Registered
Has anyone ever encountered one of those awful sellers that show you pics and give a description of an item, but send it in a horrible state? I bought a 2-8-0 Consolidation, and when it finally arrived it was wrecked! Gears were shot, bell missing, wheels binding, scratched paintwork, steps on tender busted. Man I was ticked! Then after I left feedback he contacted me and accused ME of breaking it! The nerve of it...anyway, I ranted at him and then, out of nowhere he just mentions that hes a millionaire that owns a successful business, yada, yada, yada...Its people like that, that make me unsure of Ebay purchases, usually in circumstances like that, its the seller apologizing, not making excuses and blaming the buyer. I salvaged whatever parts of it I could for another loco that I'm currently rebuilding.
The USRA Guy;

I have never used ebay and never intend too, unless its the only place where I can get some particular scarce item. Why? Because of all the horror stories I've read here. Yes, there have been success stories too, but I don't gamble, and that's what ebay is, a gamble. That's why some call it "fleecebay."
I'd far rather pay more, to a reputable online dealer, who will stand behind their product. www.modeltrainstuff.com and www.allelectronics.com are two that I've used, and recommend. Sorry for your loss. Take it as a learning experience, albeit an expensive one.

Traction Fan 馃槙

Registered
Lucky you! This guy is a real piece of work...I'm still trying to get a refund, but he won't do it just because I left some negative feedback on the condition of the loco...
Well that's another lesson. Don't leave feedback until you are done dealing with the seller. Usually they will offer a refund or a partial refund to avoid a bad review.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I usually just go to my LHS or as TF said, a reputable online dealer like MTS, when I'm in the market for rolling stock or locomotives. Ebay is where I get most of my spare parts, but everything else comes mainly from reliable resources. Wise words from both of you!

Registered
You can elevate it to eBay and they will likely side with you. That said, never leave feedback until you contact the seller and inform them of the issue. I use email a lot and have had very good experiences when it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Registered
I buy a lot of my brass off of eBay. You can find reasonable deals on there and find some one off stuff you may not see at a train show or a hobby shop. My latest is a Santa Fe 2-10-4 I鈥檝e been dreaming up for around 8 months now. My next eBay purchase will be a 2900 class Santa Fe northern so I have an example of all 3 big Baldwin鈥檚 the Santa Fe had coming up on the end of steam.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I've certainly learned my lesson with the whole feedback thing (he got pretty worked up over that). I've had several recent great deals on locos that went smoothly, but eBay seems to be like a hit or miss, and I would prefer to buy something that either I can see with my own eyes or is guaranteed brand new, fully functioning, and the retailer will take accountability for any damage. Don't get me wrong, eBay can be a great source, you just need to be very careful (as naive me wasn't).

Registered
I've done a lot of buying and selling on eBay and never had an issue that the seller didn't make right. I also never leave feedback until everything is said and done. I know mistakes are made, it's called being human, so I give the seller a chance to correct it and base my feedback on that.

Registered
If the item wasn鈥檛 as presented in the auction, you can send it back even though the seller says they don鈥檛 accept returns. That鈥檚 an eBay rule.

I have bought and sold many things on eBay. Depending on what I am selling, there are many problem purchasers that flip out and don鈥檛 contact the seller before leaving feedback. Not so much with trains, but with diecast aircraft.

When working with a problem on eBay, take your time and communicate. It makes a huge difference...

Tom

Admin
Seller wouldn't accept returns, I did get an $80 refund in the end though.
That makes no difference if it wasn't as represented, eBay will still force them to accept a return.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
That makes no difference if it wasn't as represented, eBay will still force them to accept a return.
Thanks John, I've never had any issues like this with a seller before, I didn't know eBay would do that. Guess I need to read through the eBay "Help and Contact" section again馃槀. Overall I'm happy enough with my partial refund, but I'll keep that in mind for any future problems with other purchases.

Registered
I buy quite a lot of things on ebay. I'm getting electronics from China all the time, and I bought half the parts to build a motorcycle. Yeah some sellers are real jerks, but for the most part I've had good experience. I think by far the worst (and stupidest) thing I've ever seen a seller do was when I ordered a new front brake cylinder for the motorcycle. He sent it through the mail still full of fluid!!! When it arrived (and I was surprised they even bothered to deliver it), the post office had wrapped the whole box in plastic and taped it tightly. I left as much of a scathing review as I could fit in 80 characters, but I certainly had a lot more to say about it. Despite that, the unit itself has worked fine for several years.

Registered
He was just making it easy for you to bleed. Doing you a favor, and catching abuse for it. Probably one of those mask wearers...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts