Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I can't spray paint in my house in the winter....smell is to much. How can I make some simple pine trees and make them green without spray paint?. I think a can of green paint would be to thick on them.any ideas? Either that or just add the forest green foliage and skip paint I guess
Bill

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
soak in a big jar

I use natural material for trees. So I mix up water, glycerin, food coloring in a quart container that has a lid. Soak the tree in that for a few days, then let it drip dry.

If you are using water based paint, you could try something similar.

Oil based paint, you are still going to smell the thinner.

n

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
How about mixing up some dye the color of your choice and let dry? Then you could use non-scented hair spray for fixing the foliage. True story. I went into the store and grabbed a can of super hold, ultra hold and mega hold. When I went to the cashier, she says that is sticky, what are you doing. I said fixing model train scenery. She mentioned that I may want the unscented type. Apparently I had scented.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Hi
I can't spray paint in my house in the winter....smell is to much. How can I make some simple pine trees and make them green without spray paint?. I think a can of green paint would be to thick on them.any ideas? Either that or just add the forest green foliage and skip paint I guess
Bill
I sympathize. I have problems with fumes of all kinds, and my youngest son inherited it. No solvent-based paints for us anymore

However, I find that an airbrush and acrylic paint is a winning combination. A simple paint booth with a particulate filter works perfectly. This might be a great time to invest in one if you don't have one already.

If you don't want to do that, then dipping your fibers in thinned paint... several times if necessary, is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Pine trees

Hi
Bill

Bill;

I use spray paint, but I live in San Diego where cold weather isn't a problem. However the method I use to make conifer trees is based on green 3M Scotchbrite scouring pads. Their natural color is OK for pine trees, at least light ones. Any of the methods the guys have suggested, airbrushed water-based paint, or unscented hairspray to glue ground foam on, filtered spray booth, Etc. could be used to color them darker. I've also dyed "sander dust" (like sawdust but finer grain from a sander) dark green with Rit fabric dye. This can be sprinkled over a tree that has just been sprayed with unscented hairspray. The sander dust forms the "pine needles."

The files below explain how I made my trees, and the Model Railroading on a budget" one explains the making and use of sander dust, in the "scenery material section near the end.
The photos show some finished trees made using the method in the "Paintbrush pine trees" file.

Good luck, have fun;

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

View attachment Paintbrush Pine Trees.pdf

View attachment MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

trees 2.JPG

trees & train 1.JPG

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I experimented with a few techniques for pine trees until I finally found a technique that I thought resemble the most realistic tree. The following video is the method I use to construct them, but then for what you want to achieve, skip the spray paint step at the end of his video. Instead, you can:
  1. Make a 3:1 paint-to-water mix of acrylic dark brown color (for trunk + branches) in a cup or bowl (that's a lot of paint, so plan to keep it long term for reuse)
  2. Dip your entire tree into the wash, shake it off to rid the tree of excess paint, then stick the trunk into a piece of foam to stand upright to dry (or a piece of wood w/ holes drilled in it)
  3. When trees are dry, use a low-odor spray adhesive like this Krylon to spray the tree to receive foliage
  4. Sprinkle a green color foliage of your desire (I use a very dark conifer green) over the tree immediately before adhesive dries. Do this over a surface where you can collect the excess foliage (for re-use) that doesn't make it onto the tree. You can also experiment with different foliage coarseness here as well, but I find that fine foliage in 2 applications works best for my taste
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 if / as necessary to your taste
  6. Finish off the tree with hairspray (if odor is not too strong for you) to "seal" the foliage

·
Registered
121 Posts
Paint them outside, regardless of temperature. The trees won't look any different. Only perfect paint jobs like on locos or rolling stock require ideal conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts