Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Men, I have a little problem getting my track pins to snug up into the holes in the rails. I've tried & tried but can't get them to go all the way in. Is there a trick to get them pushed in all the way? A little update. I purchased a KW transformer & put a new cord on it & it works like a charm. I paid $75.00 for it. The KW is a GREAT transformer. Thanks to all who helped me with advise and ideas. I now have a top notch transformer for my layout.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,218 Posts
Hello Men, I have a little problem getting my track pins to snug up into the holes in the rails. I've tried & tried but can't get them to go all the way in. Is there a trick to get them pushed in all the way? A little update. I purchased a KW transformer & put a new cord on it & it works like a charm. I paid $75.00 for it. The KW is a GREAT transformer. Thanks to all who helped me with advise and ideas. I now have a top notch transformer for my layout.

Tap them in gently.
Or are you talking about putting two sections of track together and they won't get close?
I am guessing tube track?
O or O/27?
There are different pins for O & O/27 you know?.
Do you have the right pins?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tap them in gently.
Or are you talking about putting two sections of track together and they won't get close?
I am guessing tube track?
O or O/27?
There are different pins for O & O/27 you know?.
Do you have the right pins?
Good Morning Big ED. Yes Sir, I can't get two sections of track to fit snugly together. It's O gauge. The pins are what came with my new track. I don't know If there are shorter pins. I read someplace on the WEB that I should use an Awl to 'bore' out the section I'm trying to put together. Then squeeze the rail back together. Does that sound right? Thank you very much ED. :)

·
Admin
44,982 Posts
Don't try to expand the hole, that's counterproductive. I personally use track pliers to crimp the track and then tap the pins in.

First, I clean the inside of any used track with a small rotary stainless brush, then I use Deoxit D5 to assist in conductivity of the joints.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you John, I'll do just that! :) Some of the pins are showing quite a bit, I need to get the sections together. I didn't want to bore the rails. Pushing them together is impossible. Have a great day.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Good Morning Big ED. Yes Sir, I can't get two sections of track to fit snugly together. It's O gauge. The pins are what came with my new track. I don't know If there are shorter pins. I read someplace on the WEB that I should use an Awl to 'bore' out the section I'm trying to put together. Then squeeze the rail back together. Does that sound right? Thank you very much ED. :)
I think if you spread the holes out with an awl or anything else, you will be sorry. I use a small block of wood and "tap" it with something like tracK pliers keeping the wood block in contact with the track on the opposite end. It works with curves OK but it takes some finesse. Tap until the outer tubes come in contact with each other. The joint on new track you almost can't see. loose joints are enough trouble with making good electrical connections and the noise when wheel roll over them- (I like the extra clickity clack) you wont ever be sorry with tight joints!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Don't try to expand the hole, that's counterproductive. I personally use track pliers to crimp the track and then tap the pins in.

First, I clean the inside of any used track with a small rotary stainless brush, then I use Deoxit D5 to assist in conductivity of the joints.

John- do those pliers have the crimp nipple that crimps the tube to make the detent to "hold" the pin in place? I think the factory used a crimp on the stationary end of track sections so the pins would stay put when pulling apart the sections and prevent the pin from going too far in to the tube when connecting sections. That factory crimp would be nice to freshen up when cleaning track and pins.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you plandis and John. I am working on them right now. Yes plandis I feel like you do, using an awl on the track would be a bad thing to do. I LOVE the people on this board!! :)

·
Admin
44,982 Posts
The little crimp that the factory puts in is not done by anything I've ever seen, so that part you just have to wing it. :) I don't have a lot of issues just getting the pins in tight. For the "fixed" pins, I crimp with the track pliers without a pin, then tap the pin in, they are pretty snug that way.

If you want real ease of use, Fastrack is the way to go, just plugs together and there are no pins to deal with. :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
you are very welcome. I am amazed at the expertise you will find on this forum. there are a lot of excellent sourses of very good info and tips here. I only wish I could get the time to put some of it to practice!!

about those pins, look at the underside of the rail toward the ends where the pins go in. you will notice a small dent. you have to push (tap) the pin past this "dent" to the point where the slot in the end of the pin aligns with this dimple. Then if there was only a Way to freshen up that dimple.... I'll bet some one will chime in!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Every question I've asked at the board has been answered so fast! What a great place this is for us rail heads. All Aboard! :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,218 Posts
Every question I've asked at the board has been answered so fast! What a great place this is for us rail heads. All Aboard! :)

A better picture of the track pliers,
Notice the hole at the tip, this is to tighten up (snug) the rail where the pin is if it is too loose.

trackpliers.jpg

New rail goes together tough, I use brute strength and a few choice words.
The words help.:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hahaha... the words might help! :) Funny! Your so right, the new track rails are TIGHT! It does take some doing to get the sections together. The curves seem to be super tight. Those are my problem.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,218 Posts
I just wiggle them slightly back and forth, they eventually go together. Someone mad a little tool that snugged them up, but I haven't seen it mentioned for some time.
I tried to find it to post.
I don't think it is worth the money unless you are laying 10 miles of track.:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts