Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
I usually clean the shoe before taping least the tape fall off. A little cyanoacrylate will wick into that upper giving the tape better adhesion. Finally, I'd cut strips of tape and go around the toe from top to bottom, working from both sides and meeting in the center. A lighter shade of duct tape would then be used as a band around the shoe just behind the laces to bind everything together.

Once I've admired my handywork the requisite 10 seconds I chuck them.

HTH

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Thanks to getting into model railroading I've probably saved myself from becoming obese!
Yep, since I normally don't get started on my layout until around 4 or 5pm in the afternoon I tend to get engrossed and not come back into the house much before 7:30 or 8:00pm.
By that time of night it's stupid to eat anything heavy, so it's normally a light snack or tossed greens, grapes, etc., then off to bed.
See.....there are terrific benefits to being addicted to this hobby! :laugh:
Bob

·
Registered
213 Posts
I do believe that a grey duct tape would have been more appropriate, and more fashionable. We must always remember our dress code.

Bob

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you should take the time to go to the store. The Salvation Army will give you new shoes for free. Pete
I think that's where I got these. ;)

Quitting work on the layout at 9 or 10 PM is very frequent for me also.
Eat mostly the same things as Raleets. Dropped 15 pounds.

Magic

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
One day you will be walking along admiring the new loco your carrying and thinking about how nice it will look on your layout. Suddenly the tape on your shoe will slip and then come loose. The tape will slide under your shoe with the next step and pull the sole down under along with it. The sole will catch on the walkway,the tape will stick and stop your foot,you will start to fall and hold the new loco up at the same time. But you will be going down and the loco will be going up so at one point or other the loco will be flying through the air at the same time your flying through the air in the opposite direction. Just when you hit the pavement you'll hear a shattering of plastic and metal as the loco hits a granite street marker and all the parts hit the ground about the same time you do. Then all the lights go out and the next thing you know your in the back of an ambulance,the paramedic is holding your head because you may have a fractured vertebrae in your neck and the doctor and the x-ray techs are waiting for you at the emergency room.
After five days in the hospital they finally let you loose and you go back to find your loco which is long gone. Not even a little piece left for you to remember it by. So lets see what that adds up to:
One locomotive----------------$150
Ambulance ride------------------800
x-rays-------------------------1200
Five days in the hospital-------50000
lost work ----------------------1000----------Total $53150.00 plus the doctors bill.
new pair of shoes-----------------12.95

Obamacare says that the "train disease" isn't covered and your deductible is $50,000 anyway so they pay nothing.
Have a nice day. Pete

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Not sure which commercial your refering to. I was in story telling mode this morning so I made that all up. The names were changed to protect the unwary.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Not sure which commercial your refering to. I was in story telling mode this morning so I made that all up. The names were changed to protect the unwary.
I can't recall the sponsor, but the story line of the commercial is very similar. One event leads to another, and another, and another (all bad), then WHAMO!, all is lost. :eyes:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
Yes for a fix like that you would want to use epoxy instead. :p

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
One day you will be walking along admiring the new loco your carrying and thinking about how nice it will look on your layout. Suddenly the tape on your shoe will slip and then come loose. The tape will slide under your shoe with the next step and pull the sole down under along with it. The sole will catch on the walkway,the tape will stick and stop your foot,you will start to fall and hold the new loco up at the same time. But you will be going down and the loco will be going up so at one point or other the loco will be flying through the air at the same time your flying through the air in the opposite direction. Just when you hit the pavement you'll hear a shattering of plastic and metal as the loco hits a granite street marker and all the parts hit the ground about the same time you do. Then all the lights go out and the next thing you know your in the back of an ambulance,the paramedic is holding your head because you may have a fractured vertebrae in your neck and the doctor and the x-ray techs are waiting for you at the emergency room.
After five days in the hospital they finally let you loose and you go back to find your loco which is long gone. Not even a little piece left for you to remember it by. So lets see what that adds up to:
One locomotive----------------$150
Ambulance ride------------------800
x-rays-------------------------1200
Five days in the hospital-------50000
lost work ----------------------1000----------Total $53150.00 plus the doctors bill.
new pair of shoes-----------------12.95

Obamacare says that the "train disease" isn't covered and your deductible is $50,000 anyway so they pay nothing.
Have a nice day. Pete
Well Pete the tape did come loose but luckily I was only caring my dinner.

Dinner out.................35.00 had a couple of drinks
Carpet cleaning.........75.00
DUI ticket.............1,500.00
Retired........................0.00
Total.....................1610.00
The way I figure it I', $51,540.00 Ahead. :smilie_daumenpos::smilie_daumenpos:

@ Big ED Actually the tape was to hold things in place while the Dap Silicone Marine sealant cured.
My favorite glue, haven't found much that it won't stick to.

Magic

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: Shoe repairs

Quite some time ago, one shoe of pair of black work shoes with synthetic material tops and rubber soles separated forward of the heal not long after their purchase...Inexpensive, yes, but coming apart within the first 3 weeks or so, not acceptable...No longer any receipt for making a complaint and possible return, I then used a bead of PL urethane sealant around the top edge of the separated shoe bottom and with some cardboard and a couple of wooden blocks, clamped the two parts together in a reasonable alignment for overnight...That shoe, looking pretty ugly with the havy tan sealant, stayed together for several more weeks and no one said much of anything as they were worn mostly within my woodworking and furniture repair workshop that only occasionally sees "public" visitors.

Bruce /FRED On Board
ATSF, BN, SP, UP

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I had a pair of work boots that the sole came loose from the top, one of those could pick up a dime without bending over deals. But they were so comfortable.
Back then if you knew someone, and everyone did, who worked at EB, Electric Boat, they had EB Green.
EB Green makes Duct tape look like the flour and water paste you used in kindergarten. I am not kidding.
Two wraps around and I was good for a week:D

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
If you haven't yet tried black Gorilla Tape I highly recommend it. It's ungodly sticky and once in place it won't budge. Pretty sure it could couple locomotives. :eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts