Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some o-scale engines and cars without boxes. How do you guys store the engines and cars that you don't have on display? Does somebody sell storage boxes made especially for train cars?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,034 Posts
I have some o-scale engines and cars without boxes. How do you guys store the engines and cars that you don't have on display? Does somebody sell storage boxes made especially for train cars?

Yes. I have seen ads for them somewhere.
I will look for them when I get a chance.
Maybe someone else will know and beat me to the punch.:D
Right now my time is very limited, sorry.:(

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,034 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
I have a couple in display cases to keep dust off.

I also have a couple packed away for "safe keeping" in Walmart plastic bins (with snap on lids). Importantly, I wrapped each car with small microfiber towels before placing them in the bin. The kind of towels you would buy in a bundle for car washing. About 1'x1' each. Microfiber is important ... extra soft.

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I'd like to suggest you not store them in an airtight container such as a Ziplock bag. It sounds like a good idea until you realize you are trapping the ambient moisture in the bag with it; when the air cools, the water molecules look for a nice, cool piece of metal to condense on and start that rusting process. I'd recommend putting a moisture-absorbent in with them, whatever your container of choice. A cheap option is an old, dry washcloth wrapped around a handful of Minute Rice and secured with a rubber band: the rice will absorb the moisture from the air and hold it.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Reck ... I should have mentioned that I have little packets of desiccant pellets in there, to grab any moister. Good point. I like the rice idea ... I never heard of that one!

T-Man ... be a bit careful about cardboard boxes, which typically are made from acid-based paper. If in any direct contact with your train's painted surfaces, the cardboard could discolor the paint over some length of time.

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went to Walmart and bought a few plastic tubs and microfiber towels to store my unboxed trains. The link to the Lionel train boxes was cool but not all of my engines/cars were Lionel.

Somebody ought to make specialized train storage cases.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,034 Posts
I'd like to suggest you not store them in an airtight container such as a Ziplock bag. It sounds like a good idea until you realize you are trapping the ambient moisture in the bag with it; when the air cools, the water molecules look for a nice, cool piece of metal to condense on and start that rusting process. I'd recommend putting a moisture-absorbent in with them, whatever your container of choice. A cheap option is an old, dry washcloth wrapped around a handful of Minute Rice and secured with a rubber band: the rice will absorb the moisture from the air and hold it.

And when you unpack them you can make some Chinese food with the rice.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I am not sure what era locomotives you have, but modern ones with can motors and traction tires are not going to roll anywhere :)

For the dummies, if they roll it is no problem because the couplers hit the inside of the tote before an axle is able to fall off the track... I am very pleased with the convenience...

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
B&M,

I like it. Did you glue or double-stick-tape the track to the inside of the bins? (Or are they mounted to some common cardboard or something to hold them in place?)

TJ

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
B&M,

I like it. Did you glue or double-stick-tape the track to the inside of the bins? (Or are they mounted to some common cardboard or something to hold them in place?)

TJ
They are mounted on MDF with screws (I had not yet screwed down the track when I took the first picture)...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello SkyArcher,

All the trains I have in storage are wrapped with "ACID FREE TISSUE PAPER", it has to be Acid free or the paint on the trains will wear off and do not store with "newspaper". This is one of the worst things to wrap your trains with. The ink in the newspaper will actually rub off onto the trains. I put all my trains in plastic containers, including the ones with boxes. This makes sure the moisture stays out. Then I store the trains in a heat room that's set at 65 degrees fahrenheit.:)

PW - Jason

1 - 17 of 17 Posts