Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
372 Posts
Back logs are huge this time of year due to volumes being shipped so most likely sitting in the back of a trailer at some courier or post office depot waiting to be sorted.
This is probably the worst time to ship right now with the Christmas rush on and all.

· Registered
12,824 Posts
Back logs are huge this time of year due to volumes being shipped so most likely sitting in the back of a trailer at some courier or post office depot waiting to be sorted.
This is probably the worst time to ship right now with the Christmas rush on and all.
Yes, there are delays this time of year, but a tracking number will identify, within reason, WHERE the package actually is.

A shipper on eBay has 72-96 hours to actually ship the product. When you purchase a shipping label direct from eBay, it automatically moves it to "Shipped" status, and the status shows up as "shipping label created". When the package is actually delivered to a carrier, status will change to "Origin Scan", "Delivered to Post Office", something like that (depending on the carrier). If you go to the carrier directly, you have to manually input the tracking information, and it skips the "shipping label created" step. EBay will start to prompt the seller if they don't see that "Origin scan" within the required timeframe. After the carrier has it, their timeliness standards apply (USPS Priority Mail is 5-7 business days in the Continental United States at this time of year).

One nice thing about eBay is that the seller doesn't actually get the money for the sale until a couple of days after the package has actually shipped (origin scan). So it's pretty easy to get your money back if the sale turns out to be a scam or a seller error. After that, you would probably have to file a claim with the carrier.

· Registered
O scale - all manufacturers
190 Posts
I trust the rating was 100% but also with many (100 or more) and varied buyers. You'll be OK - relax a little. I know how you feel. It certainly doesn't hurt to contact the seller if that gives you peace of mind.

· Registered
372 Posts
@CTValleyRR agreed if the shipper used a PIN.
If he shipped regular post there is no PIN.
Even PINs are no guarantee, when I worked for Purolator courier they boasted 99% scan accuracy, in reality it was in the 60% range. Others are better than Puro was, didnt take much to be better than them somedays.

· Premium Member
1,592 Posts
When you click on the item does the tracking details just say
Shipping Service USPS First Class
Carrier UPS

If so I would give it a little bit. I've been receiving a few ebay products shipped that way with no tracking number and I never get notified it shipped which is sort of frustrating but I always get them...

· Registered
12,824 Posts
@CTValleyRR agreed if the shipper used a PIN.
If he shipped regular post there is no PIN.
Even PINs are no guarantee, when I worked for Purolator courier they boasted 99% scan accuracy, in reality it was in the 60% range. Others are better than Puro was, didnt take much to be better than them somedays.
By PINs, I assume you mean tracking numbers, and ebay shippers are supposed to ship by traceable means. So does any seller with half a brain, because the cost savings of not including tracking (an extra dollar-ish on first class postage in the US) isn't worth the hassle of not being able to prove delivery or find a wayward package.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you haven't worked for Purolator in ten years or more, and here's why: Bar code scanning has advanced by light-years since it's first implementation, and it's rare to get a mis-scan these days, with devices that now read the whole bar code at once. My family of 5 gets a hundred or more packages every year, and if any of us had a mis-scan, I never heard about it. Nor do we ever have trouble at automated checkouts. Now, maybe you are referring to automated machinery failing to scan bar codes in passing, and that may be much more common (anecdotally, if do see packages that show they arrived at a facility, but never leave it, despite showing arrival at the next node), but origin and destination scans are performed manually.

· Registered
12,824 Posts
The seller has not shipped the item was purchased and paid for on 12/5/22. I have not yet received any notice of shipment or any correspondence from the seller. My guess is the seller realized they could get more money if I cancelled the transaction.

I filed a claim with e-bay today so I’ll see what happens next. I can still file a complaint with my credit card company if I don’t get any satisfaction.
That's against eBay policy, and if you read the fine print when you make or accept an offer, it tells you so right on the screen. More likely, it either got lost I the volume, or he had an inventory problem, didn't actually have the item for sale, and is ashamed to admit it.

Rest assured that, while you have paid your money, he hasn't received it yet. If he hasn't shipped. Did you try reaching out to the seller and asking where your item was?

· Registered
12,824 Posts
I’m working through e-bay and not contacting the seller directly. I’ve tried contacting sellers in the past only to be told they only reply via e-bay.

The item I bought was a rather common NYC DD boxcar. There were others but this was the best price and the seller included free shipping.
Other sellers are not this seller. I have corresponded directly with the buyer or seller every time I needed some information, without getting eBay involved. If you contacted eBay without trying to resolve it with me first, I'd be ticked.

· Yard Master & Research
12,308 Posts
I have a good story to tell. I bought my four wheel gondola . Cannot remember if it was an auction or but it now. Anyway the item was paid through Paypal. The next day some clown paid us 250 bucks. Not being greedy we contacted Paypal on the mistake. Guess what? They froze all transactions including My Gondola! UGH. Anyway the problem was solved in a day. Paypal returned the money and unlock the gondola payment. The seller was confused, ( I do not blame him) He did ship it later.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts