Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Railroad Tycoon
26,163 Posts
Not yet, he didn't get it yet.
I won a item close to $200 off Train city on flea bay, they go by another name too.
Took over a month to get it! All emails & messages went unanswered.
Contacted flea bay they said they would follow up, they never did.
I finally got it and left a green dot, positive feedback, but I added in the comments, took a while to get but all went well.
They Banned me for life!
I am better off without them! :cool:
Happened many years ago, every once and a while I try to bid on something from them, but I am still banned. lol
Their loss.

Reactions: bewhole

· Registered
1,425 Posts
I remember when companies had three months to deliver your goods. If they didn't deliver by then they were required to notify you then they had another three months. That's when train stores had lists of stuff with line drawings in their ads. Different times...

· Premium Member
14,877 Posts
I remember when companies had three months to deliver your goods. If they didn't deliver by then they were required to notify you then they had another three months. That's when train stores had lists of stuff with line drawings in their ads. Different times...
Yeah, hobby shops….you know, those things we drove out of business because we could get stuff a dollar cheaper on-line…..now we complain that they don’t get it to us fast enough….a never-ending story…. o_O

· Registered
Ohio Central Systems
2,146 Posts
It's hard to say with the USPS. Usually... I say usually, because sometimes they surprise me with competence, lol... Usually, their systems are way behind on status updates. I once had a package show up in my mailbox before their system showed it as being accepted.... Other times, I received a text message update the moment it was delivered, and I was able to watch the package move through their system the whole time.

· Premium Member
14,877 Posts
Well, I get a notification from E-bay that I now have a tracking number. So, i looked up the number on the USPS site. Turns out the seller just created a label on 12/19/22 but the PO has not received the item for shipment.

Does creating a label constitute shipping as far as E-bay is concerned. Until I actually get the item I think the seller is stalling. I paid $45.00 for the boxcar with free shipping and now the cheapest one is $70 plus shipping.

I think the seller is hoping I want to cancel the purchase so it can be re-listed at a higher price.
Patience, Grasshopper…. 😉

· Registered
12,824 Posts
It's hard to say with the USPS. Usually... I say usually, because sometimes they surprise me with competence, lol... Usually, their systems are way behind on status updates. I once had a package show up in my mailbox before their system showed it as being accepted.... Other times, I received a text message update the moment it was delivered, and I was able to watch the package move through their system the whole time.
Individual shipment that are dropped at a post office can and should have their acceptance scan done right there with the shipper watching.

· Registered
12,824 Posts
Well, I get a notification from E-bay that I now have a tracking number. So, i looked up the number on the USPS site. Turns out the seller just created a label on 12/19/22 but the PO has not received the item for shipment.

Does creating a label constitute shipping as far as E-bay is concerned. Until I actually get the item I think the seller is stalling. I paid $45.00 for the boxcar with free shipping and now the cheapest one is $70 plus shipping.

I think the seller is hoping I want to cancel the purchase so it can be re-listed at a higher price.
Have you ever heard of Hanlon's Razor? It says, "Never attribute to malice anything that is adequately explained by stupidity or carelessness." Maybe, just maybe, he printed the shipping label, and then couldn't get to the post office today. If you got that notice around the time that you posted it, about the only place post office windows are still open is the West Coast, and even then he'd have to hustle. Give the poor guy a fighting chance to get this done.

And yes, eBay will hold the funds until they actually see that origin scan, and even about 48 hours after that.

· Registered
372 Posts
By PINs, I assume you mean tracking numbers, and ebay shippers are supposed to ship by traceable means. So does any seller with half a brain, because the cost savings of not including tracking (an extra dollar-ish on first class postage in the US) isn't worth the hassle of not being able to prove delivery or find a wayward package.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you haven't worked for Purolator in ten years or more, and here's why: Bar code scanning has advanced by light-years since it's first implementation, and it's rare to get a mis-scan these days, with devices that now read the whole bar code at once. My family of 5 gets a hundred or more packages every year, and if any of us had a mis-scan, I never heard about it. Nor do we ever have trouble at automated checkouts. Now, maybe you are referring to automated machinery failing to scan bar codes in passing, and that may be much more common (anecdotally, if do see packages that show they arrived at a facility, but never leave it, despite showing arrival at the next node), but origin and destination scans are performed manually.
Be retired 2 years in two weeks.
Your correct the big problem was cartons coming off the city bulk trailers.
I used to do city bulk pickups and to scan every box going on the trailer at a 10-12 skid pick up or shipper loaded trailer was impractible for many reasons so the initial scan was at the Ontario Hub.
I would typically pull in two to three trailers a day of un-scanned freight depending on the run and there was 150 or us doing city bulk pick ups.
The misses were cartons tossed on the belts upside down or PINs being blocked by other cartons or any number of nutty reasons. Speed was the name of the game when processing freight, accuracy was a welcome by product
However, every carton being loaded on an outbound trailer was scanned manually to they're credit but who knows if the scan was stored....at clear it was about getting everything on trailers to send it.
Cartons picked up by the van couriers on they're routes or out of depots were 100% scanned, by the driver then secondly by a loader when going on the outbound trailer.
Admittedly things did get better with upgraded hand and static scanners over the years so I'm glad you called me on this.

· Registered
12,824 Posts
So, its now Wednesday. Since the transaction took place on December 5 and my credit card was charged, again my credit card was charged. Wether the seller got his money or not I don’t know. What I do know is I was charged PA sales tax and I may not get that back.

I think 16 days is long enough time to ship.
It hasn't been 16 days. Only 24 hours since he created the shipping label. Has there been an origin scan yet? If not, what did the seller say when you contacted him. You did, right?

And yes, you paid. EBay collected the funds from you, because you ordered the item. Otherwise people would try to rip them off. If you get your item, no harm, no foul. If not, and your complaint is decided in your favor, you will get your money back, including taxes. The tax due jn $0 is $0, so what would they tax?

I mean, I understand your frustration. The seller is at best lazy or careless, and at worst a scumbag. He will richly deserve the 1 star rating that you will give him. But you're also barking up the wrong tree. Besides explaining how eBay really works, which we have done, no one here can help you. Only clear, persistent communication with the seller, and eBay if necessary, can do that.

· Registered
12,824 Posts
Be retired 2 years in two weeks.
Your correct the big problem was cartons coming off the city bulk trailers.
I used to do city bulk pickups and to scan every box going on the trailer at a 10-12 skid pick up or shipper loaded trailer was impractible for many reasons so the initial scan was at the Ontario Hub.
I would typically pull in two to three trailers a day of un-scanned freight depending on the run and there was 150 or us doing city bulk pick ups.
The misses were cartons tossed on the belts upside down or PINs being blocked by other cartons or any number of nutty reasons. Speed was the name of the game when processing freight, accuracy was a welcome by product
However, every carton being loaded on an outbound trailer was scanned manually to they're credit but who knows if the scan was stored....at clear it was about getting everything on trailers to send it.
Cartons picked up by the van couriers on they're routes or out of depots were 100% scanned, by the driver then secondly by a loader when going on the outbound trailer.
Admittedly things did get better with upgraded hand and static scanners over the years so I'm glad you called me on this.
Right, so that's not scans providing incorrect information, it's the automated equipment not reading it. At worst, this provides incomplete tracking data, but it doesn't make it impossible to track something or provide an incorrect status. As I said before, I see that kind of thing all the time. I still know my shipments are coming, and more or leas where they are.

Reactions: GTW son

· Registered
Ohio Central Systems
2,146 Posts
TJ,

Sorry that some users here seem to be so condescending at times. Wouldn't it be great if people would actually read what you say before crafting a reply that screams "how can you be so stupid?"

· Registered
8 Posts
Interesting posts. I have been selling several HO cars belonging to my late father. Ship same day or within 24 hours using ebay labels. Even this week before Christmas there has been no USPS delays and parcels are being delivered in three or four days.

· Registered
17 Posts
For fastest shipping I would recommend using PayPal. The seller gets his money right away and shippng should commence very quickly. If you use a credit card, your payment must go through them first before shipping will commence and that can take several days. Most sellers are eager to get their money and once they do then your item should be shipped without delay. If not start a case like was suggested above. That does make the seller angry if he was doing is best to get you item to you. So first contact the seller about the issue. Their rating on eBay relies on happy customers!

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
TJ,

Sorry that some users here seem to be so condescending at times. Wouldn't it be great if people would actually read what you say before crafting a reply that screams "how can you be so stupid?"
Well just got an e-mail from E-Bay. The seller cancelled the purchase. The e-mail referenced that the seller never sent the item and this triggered an automatic cancellation and a refund on my credit card will be available in 3-5 business days.

The e-bay seller is : roariemay. I plan to post a review and suggest that you avoid dealing with this seller. I‘ll be watching to see if the item, Lionel NYC double Door Boxcar #6-27203, gets reposted.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts