Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started counting how many different locomotives I have and realized that I may have a small addiction. I have over 50 reasonable quality locomotives and I keep finding new ones I like. Due to the fact I’m only 27 years old I think there may be a few too many

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,884 Posts
Join the crowd, lol :D

Can never have too many trains. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the main problem is I’ve bought them all in just over a year. I got back into the hobby a little over a year ago with a couple locomotives and I’m guessing a dozen or so cars and now my equipment has well over 200 cars and 50 locomotives. We have a train show in Wheaton Illinois monthly and I go eat up the deals there every month

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my next big purchase will be one of the west side brass Santa Fe 2-10-10-2 locomotives. The only articulated locomotive Santa Fe ever had. I believe they were the 3000 class originally built in the late 1800s

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I haven't reached that number yet. But, I hate having more trains than I can place on track at the same time (whether in motion or not).

In other words, I would hate to have to shelve any locomotive and have to decide what I want on the tracks at any given time. I want them ALL on the tracks ALL of the time.

I might have to think about building an additional yard sometime in the next year or two.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All of my warbonnet Santa Fe diesels are on display in my work shop. I also have about 15 steam engines in there on display too along with my passenger trains

·
Registered
637 Posts
Since I'm the odd man out I though I'd put in my 2 cents worth.
First off, I've never had the room for even a medium sized MRR. Nor have I had the $$. But I'll say this.
For me I like 'bonding' with the 3,4,5 locos I have or had.. Kind of like they are the ones that I'd been the engineer on on my RR..I suppose in the 1:1 scale engineers over decades, having been employees of 1 or many RRs likely have a history of having run 50-150 different locos of same or different classes.. Even if I had the room/$$ for a large MRR I still would only purchase enough power to serve that RR (+-)..
Forgive me. But for you fellas owning huge amounts of engines, even if you're a club member, is, to me, if anything, a waste of $$..I mean I understand the compulsion, as they are very alluring. I get that. But at one point you should take account of yourself and tell yourself, in all honesty, you have enough now and that you need no more be a lover of real and model trains...

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
I only have 19 diesels...
But I got too many freight cars to count (I know there's 212 open hoppers though). They're mostly Accurail, and bought cheap, but over the years, they likely total about the cost of a hundred locomotives.

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
I think my next big purchase will be one of the west side brass Santa Fe 2-10-10-2 locomotives. The only articulated locomotive Santa Fe ever had. I believe they were the 3000 class originally built in the late 1800s
The Virginian had ten 2-10-10-2's...
The tenders had to be made under-length, to fit on the turntables.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as cars go I have probably 50-75 covered 2 bay hoppers somewhere around 50-75 box cars probably 20 coal hoppers and a handful of other types of cars. I have 5 different passenger train consists and more power than you can shake a stick at. For me I have the money to do those types of things because I don’t normally leave my house other than for the train show (good prices) or something for my boy though so you can save a lot of money real fast if you’re in my situation anyway. Like I said I hardly ever pay full price for any of the equipment I have though. The train show I go to they sell athearn blue box freight cars for $5-8 a car with metal wheels and kadee couplers. A lot of locomotives I buy don’t run so I make the repairs and they run good and as far as dcc goes I own 5 that came factory with it. I do the majority of the work myself so that’s another reason I can buy more. I don’t have a massive layout by any stretch it goes around a 10x16 room in my basement but maybe I just like the nostalgia of the old locomotives. If it’s prototypical year on my newest locomotive it’s a dash 9 in the warbonnet scheme so all other motive power is primarily transition era. I just have a fascination of old true American iron I guess

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hmmm, I've decided no more until I get all my model train projects done. (but it's not absolutely cast in stone just wet cement). I don't think I have that much but if I type it all out, and I just did, I realize it's rather ridiculous -- when you count track, the various cars, engines and the various scales. Recently I've been going down the scales. I'm fiddling about in HO now which I like -- but I may abandon it for the more space efficient N. If I do that, I'm selling everything first.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
TellTale you do not know what an addiction is. It has nothing to do with being rational.
I can not argue with what you say but addiction is out of control. I know what it is.
I have some of most scales. Just in HO I have over 130 locomotives and over 500
rolling stock. I have got a handle on my HO addiction. I have not bought a single HO
item for 3 years. Pretty good. My last HO purchase was BigBoy #4014. LOL, now I have
a problem with S scale. American Flyer to be exact. This has been a 3 year addiction
and I am getting a handle on it. These locomotives are around 70 years old. I have
learned to work on them and they can be made to run like new. I have around 20
steam engines. 4 diesel passenger sets. I am satisfied with this number . My train
addiction is about kicked. Good luck to anyone with the addiction. It can be a strong
force.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you know exactly how many locomotives that you have chances are you don't have enough.

Old model railroader quote from years ago.

I run most of my locomotives, but I'm a collector at heart. I want one of everything. Still working on that. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Maybe we need to start a 12 step program; T Anonymous..Being nearly all forum members do not know who each of us are, other than by name, the meetings could be right here, on line. Each weekly, monthly meeting, we have a member lead it, tell his/her story, and then open it up for discussion...Since it'd be difficult to know when to end each meeting, perhaps it's on going, no end... But then how would we ever get to the ending serenity prayer ?: ...for thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, forever. Amen*

*I mean no offense or sarcasm to current 12 step members. Of course I'm being facetious. But maybe there is something here..M

·
Registered
469 Posts
HTML:
google hazards of helen its a 1915 short & they have a 2-10-10-2
shots as it leaves the station & running on the mainline:cool:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I allready collected around between 40 to 50 Locomotives but around 30 of them are steam locos only.
My actually project is to making the fit for DCC use to add decoders or sound decoders into it.

I decided it would be enough for my little own roadname. A small shortline need not to have too many locos.

31179239fv_1574237796195.jpg

Ya Ingo

1 - 20 of 45 Posts