Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 6-8759 Lionel Erie Lackawanna GP-9 diesel engine from 1978, and looked it up in Lionel's Parts List and Exploded Diagrams from 1970 to 1986, and found on pages 381 and 382 that only TWO rubber traction tires are required. But my confusion is the diagram just shows two tires going on the DRIVE GEAR WHEELS, and NOT the Plain Drive Wheels on the other end of the axles, which seems a little odd to me. Wouldn't that be unbalanced? I haven't received the engine yet, but if I had it in my possession, and found that the plain drive wheels were just free spinning, then it would make a little more sense. Can anyone confirm that only two 3/4" I.D. tires are required on the drive gear wheels?
If anyone has a diesel from that era what are their thoughts about not even putting rubber tires on?

·
Admin
44,379 Posts
For the 70's and 80's, it was fairly common to see oddball configurations for the traction tires. That locomotive does indeed have both on the one side. If you're running short hood forward, it won't be much of a puller either, a single motor in the front is fairly anemic. I happened to own a different locomotive with that configuration, it was awful as far as pulling anything, so I "improved" it. Improving the Lionel Phantom Locomotive

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! That's quite a modification you made. Thanks for sharing that. I really don't think I'm going to go that route. But now I fully understand why this 8759 Erie Lackawanna Diesel that I bought on Ebay, in excellent condition was so CHEAP at $53. Once again, proving you really do get what you paid for. Honestly, I just needed another "old school" transformer controlled engine to fool around with my "multiple train/insulated blocks" experiment. I'm going to try to share one system with my 2036 steamer with this diesel. Thanks for clarifying the bizarre traction tire configuration.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
For the 70's and 80's, it was fairly common to see oddball configurations for the traction tires. ...
Are the wheels designated for traction tires smaller? To allow for the thickness of the tire. I imagine some are. Is there ROT? Postwar, MPC, modern era? MTH etc.?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the wheels designated for traction tires smaller? To allow for the thickness of the tire. I imagine some are. Is there ROT? Postwar, MPC, modern era? MTH etc.?
I don't have the Lionel Postwar 1978 year Erie Lackawanna engine in my possession yet. Just ordered it.

·
Admin
44,379 Posts
Sure, they have grooves for the traction tire. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts