Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had some visitors yesterday. My cousin, his wife, his 5-year-old daughter and his in laws. The first thing the daughter said after coming in the house was “Can we see the trains now?” I was happy to oblige. The in laws don’t speak much English. The mother in law asked how many trains I had. I keep an inventory of trains, but had no idea of the count so I shrugged my shoulders and said I don’t know. Thinking I didn’t understand the question, she asked her daughter (my cousin’s wife) to translate. My cousin’s wife asked and my answer was of course the same. Everyone had a good time with the trains. I think the father in law liked them almost as much as his granddaughter. I decided today to take a count so I could answer the question the next time it is asked.

There are probably a few guys that know exactly how many trains they have. But as you gather more and more toys, it gets difficult to keep track. Lee Willis keeps his inventory in an Excel spreadsheet and posted a thread here one time with a detailed breakdown, but I’m not that organized. I keep my inventory in a Word doc so I added them up by hand. Here is my count. I didn’t count dummy units and counted AAs, ABAs and ABBAs as one.

Modern Steamers 8
Postwar Steamers 4
Prewar Steamers 1
Modern Diesels 20
Postwar/MPC Diesels 6
Prewar Diesels 2
Modern Electrics 5
Prewar Electrics 1

Total 47

So, How Many Trains Do YOU Have?

C

·
0 Posts
Since I don't have that that many it's easy to remember exactly what I have.

4 LionChief Plus steam engines (NKP Berkshire, NYC Hudson, PRR Mikado and Erie Camelback)
1 Railking Imperial steam engine (Dreyfus Hudson)
1 Railking diesel (RS-1)
1 Aerotrain
1 conventional Lionel steam engine (NYC 0-8-0)

Total: 8 locomotives

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Not enough but the wife who's always right says I have to many. :knock_teeth_out:

Let’s see if I can remember everything.

3rdrail engines:

NYC Niagara
NYC J1 Hudson
NYC L3 Mohawk

Lionel:

NYC J3 Hudson Empire State Express
Rutland Mogul:goofball::goofball:
Maine Central Mikado
New Heaven 10 wheeler

Kline:
Boston & Albany green Berkshire
Boston & Albany Black Berkshire

MTH:

UP premier challenger
NYC L4 Mohawk
Boston & Albany Hudson
NYC F3 ABA project diesel

Weaver:

Boston & Maine Pacific

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I'm not sure. For some reason I can't find my loco database file. Hmmm.

A quick count in the trainroom, I got curious so spent about 20 minutes looking/counting.
Scale locos
Diesels
Big full body (EMD E, etc) - 11
Small full body (EMD F, etc) - 17
Small switchers and such - 3
Large swtichers, SD, GP, etc. - 19
Total 50
Turbines of any type Total 7

Steamers
Articulated steamers - 20
Big steamers (NOrtherns, etc) - 15
Medium size stmr (Pacifics) -19
Smaller steamers - 24
Scale steamers Total 78
Other (track test loco, electric, etc.) 2

Non-scale diesels 3
Scale stuff TOTAL 140
Non scale (pre-War, post War) 11
TOTAL, all locos 151

Rolling stock
Passenger cars - 21" - 4
-18" - 20
-15" - 29
Reefers 44
Boxcars 40
Flatcars 41
Hopper cars 14
Gondola 2
Logging 5
Tank cars 16
Car carriers 2
Military specialty 12
Cabooses 14
Other 6
Total stuff to pull 209

Diecast vehciles as of last count: around 1,400 now

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Went through my Excel spread sheets and this is what has been logged in. Not quite as detailed as Lee's inventory.

Lionel Postwar steam or diesel ---15
Kusan Postwar diesel---6

Lionel modern steam---20
Lionel modern diesel or electric---44

MTH modern steam---18
MTH modern diesel or electric---48

K-Line modern steam---5
K-Line modern diesel---23

Atlas modern diesel---6

Williams modern diesel---6

Weaver modern diesel---2

RMT modern diesel---3

ETS electric---1

Trollies all manufactures---11

TOTAL O Gauge locomotives---208

Bill

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Far too many trains... and that's even after several serious "collection thinning" York Virtual Bandit Meet for-sale threads that became quite the tradition over on the other place up until earlier this year, when I told the fuhrer coming out of retirement to stick his moderator's keyboard where the sun doesn't shine. :p

My wife claims I have 1,000 boxes of trains! I thought she was exaggerating, but she might have been pretty darn close. :eek: In any event, the roster-thinning continues as we speak, and my wife and I are planning two tables worth of terrific goodies at the Allentown ATMA "First Frost" Meet in November. Hope to see some familiar faces there!!! :D

David

·
Registered
860 Posts
Far too many trains... and that's even after several serious "collection thinning" York Virtual Bandit Meet for-sale threads that became quite the tradition over on the other place up until earlier this year, when I told the fuhrer coming out of retirement to stick his moderator's keyboard where the sun doesn't shine. :p

My wife claims I have 1,000 boxes of trains! I thought she was exaggerating, but she might have been pretty darn close. :eek: In any event, the roster-thinning continues as we speak, and my wife and I are planning two tables worth of terrific goodies at the Allentown ATMA "First Frost" Meet in November. Hope to see some familiar faces there!!! :D

David
David, for the many folks who frequent this forum and are either unable or have no desire to visit the Allentown Train Meet, why not offer us fellow MTF members first choice of your great deals by posting your "culled" items on this forum's for sale board in the same way you offered many great deals to the OGR members when you posted those items on the ORG for sale forum?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Far too few!

5 HO locos, 4 of which work well.

1 battery-powered steam loco that is such a beauty that I keep it on display. It keeps jumping the track when I run it.

3 wind-up locos on display, hauling Kryptonite, dinosaurs, and Coca-Cola caps.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have been involved with the hobby for about 2 years, but only mess with them about 4-5 months a year. So less than a year I guess you could say.

I have 1 Athearn Big Boy
1 Challenger Black and 1 Gray

Total of 3 Athearn N scale DCC with Sound

All of my locomotives are DCC with sound.

34 Kato diesels
36 Broadway limited, mostly passenger diesels, but a few newer standard freight diesels
3 Scale Trains
4 Broadway limited SD40's on order
4 Broadway limited 70ACE's on order.

I am about done buying locomotives.

I am guess on rolling stock at being near 300 cars including freight and passenger.

I buy Kato 10-11 car sets of passenger cars. Southern Pacific, Daylight, City of Los Angles, City of San Francisco with excursion set, Milwaukee Road, and Sane Fe. Most have been fitted with lights. I have put passengers in some of them. Making them look closer to real will be a stage down the road.

I have way too many for a beginner, but just love the hobby, and want it to be special for my grand kids

·
Registered
881 Posts
Live Steam:
1.5 inch scale Santa Fe Ten Wheeler
1.5 inch scale Santa Fe Pacific
6 Gondolas
2 Flatcars
2 Cabooses

3-Rail:
Lionel:
Thomas
Percy
James
Diesel
Lionmaster Big Boy 4011
Lionmaster Challenger 3985
Lionmaster Class A 1218
The World Of Disney 4-4-0
Pere Marquette 1225
Santa Fe H16-44
Southern Pacific 2685
Mickey and Minnie Handcar
Total: 12

Atlas:
Santa Fe GP 35
San Diego Trolley
Total 2

MTH Premier/ Railking
SDIV Genset
Santa Fe GP 30
UP SD70ACe 8444 8437 8670
ES44AC/ES44C4 2010 8094 6950
19th Century Ten Wheelers ATSF 222, 255 George Washington 1
Galloping Goose 7
SP 4449
SP 4328
RFP 573
ATSF 2927
Total 16

Williams by Bauchmann
UP F7 ABBA
ATSF 44 Ton Switcher
Total 5

Loco Total: 35

Passenger: 30 Cars
Freight, MOW and Cabooses: 338
Cars total: 368

Total: 403

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
More than I need and less than I want.

I have a spreadsheet inventory that has most of my trains. The total on my inventory is 559 items. Of those, over 100 are engines.

As I zero in on my retirement in 3 weeks, my biggest problem is storage. My train closets are full and I have a bunch of boxes on the floor that I need to find room for. My first retirement project. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
More than I need and less than I want.

I have a spreadsheet inventory that has most of my trains. The total on my inventory is 559 items. Of those, over 100 are engines.

As I zero in on my retirement in 3 weeks, my biggest problem is storage. My train closets are full and I have a bunch of boxes on the floor that I need to find room for. My first retirement project. :rolleyes:
Pat; best of luck on your retirement. It's a great life. (retirement)

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
This thread has really got me thinking. I've only got about 25 but really have no idea. I still have some in boxes from a couple of years ago when I tore my layout down and rebuilt. I've got to put these on paper so I actually know what I have.
Guessing once again; I probably have around 200 passenger and freight cars.

P

·
0 Posts
Inventory now, just right for the size of our layout and shelf capacity.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts