Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm adding decals to my trains now and just wondered how much Micro Sol people use when applying to their decal after using Micro Set. I've seen some places say to use a liberal amount and then I saw one guy who dipped a Q-tip in it, squeezed out as much as he could, ran it quickly over the decal, and then used the dry end of the Q-tip to quickly wipe it away.

So the question is, do you use a liberal amount ensuring the entire decal has a thick layer on it, do you apply it liberally and then soak it up so you have a smaller amount on it, or do you use a very tiny bit and soak it up like the Q-tip guy?

So far I've been using the liberal amount and with pretty good results, but if there's a better way I'm up to trying it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
i use a brush , and apply a very liberal amount... and then wait five minutes or so for the decal to soften ..and the very carefully roll a qtip over the decal to soak up excess micro sol, and also make sure the decal forms over and rivets or ridge lines ... again, very carefully as it's pretty easy to damage the decal when it's that soft....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use Solvaset (one solution vs two).........I use a minimal amount since I've found too much can make the decal deform. So I just put on enough to moisten the decal and then watch closely. If the decal hasn't sucked down over the details as much as I'd like, I'll apply a second coat very carefully before the decal totally dries.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts