Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I’m building my table soon and running a track-bed under my standard O gauge Lionel track. I plan on screwing it down. Do I screw down every single section of track? Or is it so many feet or ??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mat

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
First, don't screw them down tight. You do not have to screw down every piece of track. I have mine screwed down with one at the beginning and end of each long straight run. At least one in the middle of long straight runs. One at the beginning of a radius, one in the middle, and one at the end. At any change of direction, it's good to have a screw.

Remember, don't screw them tight. My track has the ability to still float a bit, but not separate. When it gets screwed down tight, the vibration transmits to the underlayment and adds noise. I used #2 phillips screws from Home Depot, 3/4" long. If you don't like the silver look, you can dab the heads with black paint or magic marker. I left them silver because it makes it easier to find them later if I am modifying the track.

As long as you keep your track from separating, you've done well. If you feel there may be a bit too much movement along a particular run, add another screw at the center of the point of excessive movement.

Reactions: Train_Demon

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob, thank you so very much for the detailed explanation. It helps me immensely. So with pan head screws should I have the head of the screw just barely contact the track/tie? Would that me enough or too tight?

The wood just got delivered this morning for my table assembly and I’m charging the saw and drill right now. Wooohooo!!

I’m hoping to have the table done by tomorrow (10’ x 8’) but I’m not going to rush it.

Again, thank you for the great info.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL! I’m new. I’m sure that’s not gonna happen. I’m sure I’ll change my mind and move stuff around even though I already mapped out my table on paper first.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I leave them loose enough so there is some play in the track when you move it side to side. make a little contact with the crossties as possible.

Reactions: Train_Demon

·
Registered
52 Posts
I installed Lionel 0-27 track on my layout, using screws either side of switches, toward the middle of long straight segments and before and after curves.

Once I had completed ballasting the track and making sure it was secured with diluted white glue and allowing sufficient time for drying, I removed all the screws. The ballast holds everything in proper alignment and you don’t have the noise transferring from the track to the wood through the screws.

Curt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts