Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1955 Lionel O gauge set I got as a child. I want to expand and get another locomotive. Referring only to Lionel post-war items I am confused by the model numbers. Does anyone know if it is correct to assume that the 4 digit models, e.g. 2025 would be O27 and the 3 digit models are O gauge ? Thanks all.

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
That's correct for the post war stuff. I don't know obout the newer trains. I believe that Guage is the distance between the rails. The difference between o and 027 is the degree of the curve. Also 027 track isn't as high as o track. O27 stuff will run on O Guage track. Sometimes o and o27 trains are identical except for there number designation.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I have a 2025 steamer that is O gauge. It says O Gauge on the name plate on the bottom of the loco. I also have a 2025 steamer that is O-27 gauge.

For diesels, the number designations of 4 digit vs. 3 digit seem to be inconsistent. I have an Alco that is a 2023 but is O-27. I have F-3 diesels 2333, 2343, and 2353. These are all O gauge.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,564 Posts
I have a 1955 Lionel O gauge set I got as a child. I want to expand and get another locomotive. Referring only to Lionel post-war items I am confused by the model numbers. Does anyone know if it is correct to assume that the 4 digit models, e.g. 2025 would be O27 and the 3 digit models are O gauge ? Thanks all.

Welcome to the site.

Do you know about this site?
It has all the Postwar Lionel trains ID'ed in it take a look,

http://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionellocomotives.htm

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The tandem-associates web site has a mistake. It claims the 2025 locos were all O-27. Not so, as I have an early 2025 2-6-2 that is O gauge according to the name plate on the bottom and according to the O-31 track that it came with. I got it from the original owner back about 1955. It does not have magnetraction but does have the nickel rims on the wheels. The later 2025 2-6-4 I have is O-27 gauge as the track it came with is O-27. I bought it from the original owner about 1964.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,564 Posts
The tandem-associates web site has a mistake. It claims the 2025 locos were all O-27. Not so, as I have an early 2025 2-6-2 that is O gauge according to the name plate on the bottom and according to the O-31 track that it came with. I got it from the original owner back about 1955. It does not have magnetraction but does have the nickel rims on the wheels. The later 2025 2-6-4 I have is O-27 gauge as the track it came with is O-27. I bought it from the original owner about 1964.
You ought to send them an e mail. :D

I didn't know if he ever saw the site. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
My understanding was that the 675 was the 'O' version of the 2025. The 675 and the 2025 are both identical right down to individual part nos.

I have 2 - 2025 engines, they are both marked 'O' gauge on the nameplate but run just fine on 'O27.'

Can't swear as to the parts all being original, in fact my second 2025 needed heavy restoration , including motor, steam chest, E unit , and of course the smoke element (always update to liquid.)

My current project is a 2026 (2nd version) which ironically shares the same style motor (installed backwards) and the front pilot of the 675. It is marked 'O27' on the nameplate.

I would conclude that some 2025's were built with nameplates intended for the 675. Regardless they are 'O27' locomotives purely on the basis of their wheelbase.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
My 736 runs on O-27 track just fine. It won't go through 1122 or later switches, though. I haven't tried it with the Marx metal switches, but I suspect it will go through them just fine.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Does anyone know if it is correct to assume that the 4 digit models, e.g. 2025 would be O27 and the 3 digit models are O gauge ? Thanks all.
The 2321 Lackawanna FM Trainmaster was always sold as O-gauge, and will NOT navigate a 27" turn, so it seems this rule is not consistent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Car size O vs O27

Thank you all very much for this information and for the links. I guess that it for the steamers the 3 digits are generally O and the 4 O27 but can be inconsistent. I was looking at a 2025 and rejected it because I thought it was O27. I may have been incorrect.

I understand the gauge and curve dimensions of the two tracks. My track is all O gauge. I was under the impression that O27 cars and locomotives were slightly smaller and in the latter case less powerful than their O gauge counterparts. In general is this true ?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I was under the impression that O27 cars and locomotives were slightly smaller and in the latter case less powerful than their O gauge counterparts. In general is this true ?
Not at all. O27 came about simply because the larger radius curves take up too much space. From a marketing standpoint that was a severe limitation. Think of all the apartment dwellers who couldn't benefit from this obsession because of their living space or lack there-of.

As far as size and power go, none of the post-war enigines or cars are true 1:48 scale and there aren't but two or three motors to my knowledge to power these locomotives, the 675 and 2025 for example are 100% identical (save for model year irregularities/changes). The really big distinction was Magna traction, and how much of a benefit it was I couldn't say (don't own one - yet). I may not even need one (not that that stops us) for I don't run very long or heavy consists.

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
check out the sticky in this section, confused about size etc.. you can see all the variance's in some of the o gauge stuff!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Magnetraction is very cool, rkenney. I remember pulling trains 20+ cars long with my 2321, as a kid. I'd have problems with the long train toppling itself in curves, before I'd run out of traction or power on that engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Surprised with O27 Size

Not at all. O27 came about simply because the larger radius curves take up too much space. From a marketing standpoint that was a severe limitation. Think of all the apartment dwellers who couldn't benefit from this obsession because of their living space or lack there-of.

As far as size and power go, none of the post-war enigines or cars are true 1:48 scale and there aren't but two or three motors to my knowledge to power these locomotives, the 675 and 2025 for example are 100% identical (save for model year irregularities/changes). The really big distinction was Magna traction, and how much of a benefit it was I couldn't say (don't own one - yet). I may not even need one (not that that stops us) for I don't run very long or heavy consists.
Thanks for this info. I guess I was all wrong. I thought I remembered my Dad telling me about the smaller size about 50 years ago and so I just assumed that was the case.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Cost was also a (possibly the primary) distinction between O and O-27. It's been written many times, that the O-27 kits were marketed as a lower cost entry point to O gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts