Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TYCO Santa FE engine from the mid 80's that has not been used in a while. The wheels will not turn. When I increase the throttle I hear a sound as if the engine wants to turn but it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Clean it and lube it. Then give 'er a whirl. If it doesn't work, clean it and lube it some more.

I have some old 1950's engines that almost met my hammer, before they broke free.

Use one of those compressed air cans to blow things out, along with a brush to help break things free and clear the motor of debris.

Clean the wheels also. You may not be getting enough "juice" to the motor. Amperage loss due to oxidation and grime.

Bob

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Welcome to the forum...

I have a TYCO Santa FE engine from the mid 80's that has not been used in a while. The wheels will not turn. When I increase the throttle I hear a sound as if the engine wants to turn but it doesn't.
Sounds like the pinion gear on the power truck is stripped, a common problem with Tyco "Power Torque" trucks. Because there are no spare parts made or available anymore, there are three options for most folks...

---toss it if there's no sentimental value, they are quite common...

---make it a shelf queen until you can find another Tyco to strip for its power truck...they all used the same mechanism, regardless of model...

---repower it with an Athearn or other brand mechanism that will fit under the shell, like I did with this Tyco Chattanooga GP20...

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts
Hi and Welcome!
Tyco has the worst record for recovery. If it wants to turn but doesn't look at the gear drive in the truck. A mount could of broken off. Remove that gear. If the gear powers only one axle it will run with the other,if not your done.It will not go if you are missing traction tires. You can remove all the gears and use it as a dummy.
You are lucky you have a three Bob answer.:thumbsup:

Does it look look this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your posts. :) I got it to work. Just lubed it, cleaned it, and it works! I thought it was dead but its working fine!

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Thanks for all of your posts. :) I got it to work. Just lubed it, cleaned it, and it works! I thought it was dead but its working fine!
That's great...even Tyco has a respected place in model railroading---even if it's the butt of jokes. Long live Tyco...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
That's great...even Tyco has a respected place in model railroading---even if it's the butt of jokes. Long live Tyco...
QUOTE]

If it were not for Tyco and the lowest level Life Like made when I was a kid I would not be in this hobby. I hate to say this but a Tyco from EBay will probably be my first kid's train. Cheep and if it breaks I have lost nothing of value.

I have found several of the Tyco rolling stock to be good runners. I commonly run some of their gons, tanks and hoppers. The work as well as my Bachmann ones.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
If it were not for Tyco and the lowest level Life Like made when I was a kid I would not be in this hobby.
I love them myself and cringe at the thought that I've defaced a couple with weathering and Kadee couplers over the years. Now I leave them alone, if they don't run fine, if they do, even better. They have a growing fan following too, now that that generation is getting up in years...yikes...

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Hey VictoriaVA,

I have an late '70's Tyco Sante Fe diesel that I'm trying to fix, too. The engine runs fine, but the rear end of the rear plastic truck that houses the coupler is broken off. I have no way to attach other cars. So ...

I'm bidding on a cheap equivalent on ebay ($4.49 so far!). If I get it, I'm gonna strip whatever parts I need. Then, after that ...

Your welcome to whatever motor componets are left over, if you still need them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got a bunch of their rolling stock from the late 70's and they run great. I've found quite a few of their loco's for free on craigslist, broken of course but they make great scenery for repair yards and junk yards.

@ TJcruiser, would those late 70's Santa Fe's happen to be blue and yellow F7a Warbonnet's? just asking since I have like 5 of the shells for them (no guts) and I see them a lot on craigslist.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
@ TJcruiser, would those late 70's Santa Fe's happen to be blue and yellow F7a Warbonnet's? just asking since I have like 5 of the shells for them (no guts) and I see them a lot on craigslist.
Nope. The Tyco locos I have are standard silver and red Santa Fe paint schemes.

I ebay bought #2 to use some rear truck parts to fix #1. #1 is up and running, and #2 is sitting idle ... if you or anyone would like some parts ... cheap!

I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dredging up an ancient thread, I know, but... I'd like to thank you guys. I joined this forum because it's the only one I've run across where someone said something nice about TYCO, instead of pure TYCO-bashing.

Okay, maybe they aren't the highest-class out there. Maybe they did get a little silly. They were also just about the least-expensive RTR sets out there, and graced many a Christmas morning for a lot of kids (I actually know of a few girls who wanted - and got - a TYCO train set). As others have pointed out, there's a whole bunch of folks in model railroading right now who would have never even made it through the door if it weren't for TYCO. But I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

Howdy there, Mr. Shaygetz - that Athearn-repowered TYCO Chattanooga GP20 you showed a picture of. You wouldn't happen to have a write-up on how you did that, would you? I'm expecting three "maybe DOA" locomotives in the mail tomorrow (one TYCO F unit, one TYCO ALCO, and one "mystery steamer"), and I've never tried my hand at repowering like that before. I'd appreciate knowing a few of the "gotcha's" before running into them the hard way.

OH! And...uh...hi guys, I'm Lee, and I'm a trainaholic. Nothing set up at the moment, but I'm working on getting my old TYCO Spirit of '76 set up and running, alongside my father's TYCO (red and silver) Santa Fe, plus these new engines, and whatever else I can come up with. HO scale, of course, but I'd like to do N scale too, and at some point I want to model a section of the old El Paso & Southwestern line, circa 1923.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,033 Posts
Lee R was back and said nothing.....I guess he joined Tyco forums.:D

I would guess no one trashes Tyco's over there.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts