Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some help as I can not figure out how to get to the motor worm drive for lube. The trucks do not have a removable center wheel axle.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Camera accessory
Train Motor vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock Track Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Camera accessory Auto part Automotive tire Machine Cameras & optics

Denny Todd

·
Yard Master & Research
11,053 Posts
TO search Lionel you need the product number, with that you search parts and see the parts removed and figure it out.

SO your manual for the SD90 8404 is here Product number is 6-28274 and the part site is here

A knew a Denny Todd quite a character. Once destroyed a sound board by throwing it into a furnace the hard way. From the top of the stack probably hundreds of feet up.

I would guess remove part 29 by removing two screws and the motor to get access to the gear.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would like some help as I can not figure out how to get to the motor worm drive for lube. The trucks do not have a removable center wheel axle.

View attachment 568535 View attachment 568533 View attachment 568534 View attachment 568536

Denny Todd
Well, you started in the correct sequence and then stopped. You see that black plastic insulator where the pickup roller you removed is? Yeah, pull out that entire plastic insulator. There is a hidden screw under there holding the truck to the motor mount. This part is hiding your last screw.
Rectangle Audio equipment Gadget Electronic instrument Camera accessory

Again, on these trucks, there are 2 screws from the bottom that bolt the truck to the motor mount. One you can see- the other you have to remove the pickup AND the insulator to see it recessed in the truck.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TO search Lionel you need the product number, with that you search parts and see the parts removed and figure it out.

SO your manual for the SD90 8404 is here Product number is 6-28274 and the part site is here

A knew a Denny Todd quite a character. Once destroyed a sound board by throwing it into a furnace the hard way. From the top of the stack probably hundreds of feet up.

I would guess remove part 29 by removing two screws and the motor to get access to the gear.
Well T-Man you hit the nail on the head or should I say the spike into the tie. I am that Denny Todd. Haven't played with the trains for a few years. Now back on track. The sound board went into a 500 foot smoke stack.
I tried to log into this forum but had new email address so just started over with dennytodd2.
Where is Doc?

Denny

·
Registered
489 Posts
FYI, a lot of both steam and diesel Lionmaster engines have some form of the same problem 2 screws that hold the main truck or wheel set to the typical die cast through the frame pivoting motor mount. Some are unique in how that second screw is accessed, but again, just a design of that timeframe.

Funny though, just got one the other day, the brand new LC+ 2.0 Cab forward, falling apart out of the box because they only use one screw now on the new ones.

Just saying, you hate it now the hidden second screw- until you see the alternative one screw solution prone to just flat out falling out....

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, you started in the correct sequence and then stopped. You see that black plastic insulator where the pickup roller you removed is? Yeah, pull out that entire plastic insulator. There is a hidden screw under there holding the truck to the motor mount. This part is hiding your last screw.
View attachment 568543
Again, on these trucks, there are 2 screws from the bottom that bolt the truck to the motor mount. One you can see- the other you have to remove the pickup AND the insulator to see it recessed in the truck.
Thank you. I tugged and pried on the insulator but only wound up breaking half. It seams that the small metal plate with a threaded hole is on top of the bracket you show. I will try again now that I know how.
Denny Todd

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thank you. I tugged and pried on the insulator but only wound up breaking half. It seams that the small metal plate with a threaded hole is on top of the bracket you show. I will try again now that I know how.
Denny Todd
remove the screw from the top holding the wire to the truck in this photo through the rubber grommet hole?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sorry, was trying to help, each of these is a puzzle and how it comes apart is always a pain.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, was trying to help, each of these is a puzzle and how it comes apart is always a pain.
No No I had damaged the insulator before I got on line and talked to you. Now have one apart. What a stinker to do. With your help and T-mans photo I have made it through dismantle. Putting the center rail roller screw and lug back together looks to be the hardest part on reassembling. I have 4 of these engines so 8 times ugh. There use to be a man in the TTOS club that did this in the past but he is gone.
Thank you for the help. Now to order the part I damaged.
Denny Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts