Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this loader from Flyernut. It was a great deal, and the loader hadn't been run in many years. The belt was definitely done in.

After giving it a test run, I found that the motor was just about frozen.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
To bring it back to life, I ordered a new belt from the Train Tender, and then proceeded to tear down the whole thing. It's really easy to tear it down:

1. Take out the little screws and remove the back plates exposing the motor.

2. Pop the pins that hold the belt rollers. Remove the belt. Pull the nut off the motor pulley, unsolder the wire lead to the motor, pull the motor. Note: there's a spring that holds the motor back to provide continual tension on the motor. I just used a piece of masking tape to tie the spring together so it didn't drive me nuts later.

3. Time to pull the motor apart.

4. Pull the back off. Be careful. Once you pull the two screws very slowly remove the back. There are two brushes on springs that will fly away.

5. Now, using contact cleaner and a Scotchbrite, clean up all that pretty copper so it shines again. Including the brushes.

Dirty:

(I forgot to take a photo of it clean.)

6. Pull the armature out from the gear box. It should come out easily, it's just a screw gear.

7. Pull the gearbox apart. Check out that really old, hardened grease. Have fun cleaning everything! :) Take your time and get it all out of there. WD-40 makes this easier. When you're done, you should have a pile of bits like this:

8. Put it all back together and re-grease the gears.

9. Now, put the motor and gearbox back together and remount in the loader.

10. Make sure you clean the overall loader, pay special attention to the rollers that will guide the new belt. Cleaning for me was Windex Surface cleaner, Scotchbrite and paper towels. Here's a before / after photo of those rollers:

11. Now, you're ready to strap on the new belt and put the rear plates back on.

Once all of that was done the loader worked like a champ! I can't wait to get it permanently installed in my layout.

Good luck with your rebuild! I hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Looks like a nice addiiton to your layout, and not too difficult to repair.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Admin
46,400 Posts
You saved me the trouble of posting the same set of pictures! :D When I got my log loader, I went through the same process. I had one more step, the motor hadn't been secured in shipment, so it had broken away from the swing mount, I had to fix that as well. The gear box was frightening inside!. I also ordered a belt, but it turned out that the old belt works fine once I cleaned up everything else. The nice thing about the #364 is it doesn't take up as much space on the layout, one track serves for both loading and unloading. If you get it aligned right, you can load and unload all day without ever touching the logs. :)

I have a #164 log loader that is a pile of parts right now, I think I have all the parts to put it together, but I have to paint the parts first, it was in pretty rough shape.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch! I'm glad the swing mount on this was solid.

The belt on this one was so stretched it just wouldn't move any more. So, it had to go.

I have noticed that the plastic logs don't work very well. They're just too smooth to be picked up by the belt. The regular wood logs work perfectly, so I think I'll head out later and pick up some dowel rod to make some more. :)

Since I have today off for President's Day, I think I'll work on getting the loader positioned just right.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The nice thing about the #364 is it doesn't take up as much space on the layout, one track serves for both loading and unloading. If you get it aligned right, you can load and unload all day without ever touching the logs. :)QUOTE]

Darn! Another thing I "need".

That's wha I like about the forum, I learn about a lot of accessories.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And the 364s aren't expensive as far as accessories go.

John, what are you using for you operating switch? I put together a simple SPST toggle switch, but I've been eyeing the Lionel switches. I just like the way they look. :)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Very, very nice teardown and description of the process. You did a great job, and I'm happy that the loader was serviceable once you had everything cleaned and working. One question, did you re-surface the armature? I don't know how the Lionel motors look disassembled but when I get a flyer engine that needs service, I also resurface the armature. I chuck up the armature in my drill press, and hold a piece of fine sandpaper or emery cloth on the face while it's spinning. That takes out any ridges or microscopic gulleys on the face. Again, great job!! I just love tutorials with pictures, and yours was super!!

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Erk,

Excellent photo study, as usual. Though I don't have a loader, I find it fascinating to be able to look under the hood in such detail like this. Gives me the knowledge / confidence to understand what would be involved, should I ever find one "calling out my name".

Great job ... a HUGE thank you for taking the time to document the process.

TJ

·
Admin
46,400 Posts
And the 364s aren't expensive as far as accessories go.

John, what are you using for you operating switch? I put together a simple SPST toggle switch, but I've been eyeing the Lionel switches. I just like the way they look. :)
I'm using a plain Lionel 364C switch, I have a bunch of them.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to keep an eye out for the 364C at the next train show. For now my little toggle is doing the job. :)

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Erk,

Just out of curiosity, do you know if the motor components on that loader are common with any other Lionel accessories or cars? Don't go crazy looking anything up ... only if you can rattle something off the top of your head. (I'll peek through the Olsen's site at some point to see what I can learn.)

Thanks,

TJ

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure. I'll do some looking around later. It would be good to know. If anybody comes up with an answer, please let us know.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very, very nice teardown and description of the process. You did a great job, and I'm happy that the loader was serviceable once you had everything cleaned and working. One question, did you re-surface the armature? I don't know how the Lionel motors look disassembled but when I get a flyer engine that needs service, I also resurface the armature. I chuck up the armature in my drill press, and hold a piece of fine sandpaper or emery cloth on the face while it's spinning. That takes out any ridges or microscopic gulleys on the face. Again, great job!! I just love tutorials with pictures, and yours was super!!
No, I didn't resurface the armature. That's a good thought. I'll do that in the future, but this one was in pretty good shape.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts