Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to stop the weight from rattling around and maybe add more.
Does anyone know some magic to remove car tops, Varney and LifeLike.
Body is on piece, top is glued on.

I know I can cut with a saw and make a mess.
How about microwave oven with trucks and couplers removed?

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
Don't microwave... it'll warp or collapse. Besides, how will the metal weights react?
I think if you carefully use an Xacto #11, at the joint all around, and use a prying motion, it might come loose.
The roof on my Varney reefer wasn't glued on, and was easy to pull off.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don't microwave... it'll warp or collapse. Besides, how will the metal weights react?
I think if you carefully use an Xacto #11, at the joint all around, and use a prying motion, it might come loose.
The roof on my Varney reefer wasn't glued on, and was easy to pull off.
Perhaps these were kits? I do have one with a loose roof and some small dabs of glue are evident.
(I thought about the metal weight before I got to the kitchen o_O)

·
Registered
424 Posts
If it's glued you will damage it taking it off. You could try to force a knife between the roof and wall where you see the glue but plastic glue melts the plastic and welds it so the joint is hard to break. If some one could take a picture of one with the roof off that would tell you where the tabs are that hold it together, that would guide where to stick in the knife. I'd live with it. If you want a little more weight you could put some in between the frame pieces on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one with the roof detached. Possibly assembled with the wrong kind of glue.

:rolleyes:
Giving up on the task, and now focusing on replacing wheels and couplers to make a string of reefers.
Found one problem child had wheels out of gauge, one piece plastic axle and wheels.
If I can get them to behave mixed in with my "good" reefers, I may leave the weight alone. I could hide weight underneath or drill a hole and push in solder. Cover hole with graffiti or placard decal as these cars lack that detail .
I tried opening opening one and got scared. Don't want to ruin a $1.99 car

·
Registered
817 Posts
"I tried opening opening one and got scared. Don't want to ruin a $1.99 car."
Dennis, yer killin' me. 😅
Maybe, drill a new hole in the bottom and pour in some white glue and BBs.
Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dennis, yer killin' me. 😅
Maybe, drill a new hole in the bottom and pour in some white glue and BBs.
Just a thought...
Drilling a hole in the bottom is a problem. The steel weight can easily break off the bottom inside, Then it tends to not lay flat again because of the plastic tabs ( two tabs and two holes in the weight). Then the car leans over. I've had one fall over while moving!

I don't use BB's for trains, they go in the gun :rolleyes: .
I do however, cast weights from lead, so I could make a plaster mold of the bottom and try something.

This is taking too long, I cannot find time to put my Athearn freight car kits together or my 0-6-0.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts