Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody read this book? Authored by Harvey Weiss, written with a younger audience in mind, it changed my world. Published in the early to mid 70's with all black and white photos, it was phenomenally interesting to me.

He built a 3.5' x 7' HO layout using mostly AHM and Tyco stuff, and to my pre-adolescent eyes it was an absolute empire. The neatest thing was that he didn't get hung up on scale and details, rather, he built all his own buildings and bridges etc out of cardboard and popsicle sticks.

He also gave very simplified instructions on how to wire for a few trains, with an isolating track to park locomotives when not in use.

Perhaps the coolest thing, to me anyway, was the inner trolley loop he built. Sharp turns and steep grades but man oh man it was cool!

So, anybody else read this wonderful book aimed at younger readers?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Anybody read this book? Authored by Harvey Weiss, written with a younger audience in mind, it changed my world. Published in the early to mid 70's with all black and white photos, it was phenomenally interesting to me.

He built a 3.5' x 7' HO layout using mostly AHM and Tyco stuff, and to my pre-adolescent eyes it was an absolute empire. The neatest thing was that he didn't get hung up on scale and details, rather, he built all his own buildings and bridges etc out of cardboard and popsicle sticks.

He also gave very simplified instructions on how to wire for a few trains, with an isolating track to park locomotives when not in use.

Perhaps the coolest thing, to me anyway, was the inner trolley loop he built. Sharp turns and steep grades but man oh man it was cool!

So, anybody else read this wonderful book aimed at younger readers?

61dDw5QZvjL._SL500_.jpg

He wrote a bunch of kids books, I think the one your talking about had a part 2 too.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really?
I had no idea there might have been a part 2. I'd love to see it!
This was my absolute favorite book, bar none, when I was about 8. It's still one of my favorites.
Thanks for posting up a picture, Ed!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Somebody get me a copy of that book?! I'm on shoe strings for my road, and popsicle sticks? Hey, I can do that! I only panic, when it's finescale, and rubber cement (I don't want to end up at the hospital with half a bridge stuck to my hand, and I'm half woozie from the fumes!); so please, scan the pages of that book, put them in pdf form, and get it on here! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup: :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

·
Registered
958 Posts
That's okayish! But the copyright must be up, and it is out of print, so it's benefical to just put it on the net for all! Also, I am not getting an Amazon accout, all I have is Ebay!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
There is no time limit on Copyright, so be warned if you PDF the book and distribute it you could get in trouble. I wont tell, but I cant speak for others. Im just sayin be careful. As for the book I kinda remember that one from way back in my younger days. I cant remember much of what was in it but I do remember the cover. My 2 favorite books growing up was a book about Casey Jones (red line illustrations inside) and the Little Engine That Could.

Massey

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
There is no time limit on Copyright, so be warned if you PDF the book and distribute it you could get in trouble. I wont tell, but I cant speak for others. Im just sayin be careful. As for the book I kinda remember that one from way back in my younger days. I cant remember much of what was in it but I do remember the cover. My 2 favorite books growing up was a book about Casey Jones (red line illustrations inside) and the Little Engine That Could.

Massey

How about the Scuffy the little red tug boat?
Anyone remember that adventure?
That was a great story to read to the kids.:D

511ZEDMJPFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts

Massey
well technically there is a limit but it's complex.
Good read: http://www.ivanhoffman.com/expiration.html

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
My son has Scuffy and he loves when I read it to him. He also loves Tootle, and the Little Engine That Could.

Massey

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My other favorite children's book, and far better than Scuffy in both story and illustrations, was Little Toot Toot. About a tugboat who grows up fast when faced with an opportunity to be a hero.

That's just my .02

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
My grandpa used to read me a book about a steam shovel that would work faster as more people came to watch and on one job it dug itself so deep into the building it was digging for that they could not get the steam shovel out. So they turned it into the boiler for the building. I cant remember the name of the book but it too was one of my favorites. It was old I can tell you that the illustrations were done in 40's or 50's style and who writes about steam shovels today?

Massey

·
Registered
958 Posts
I love that story. My mama read that to me too, and I still have the book in my library (I have a big-ish library). There's also a train story, I think is called "Little Toot", it was a briliant story, and one of those difinitive moments in children's lives!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
What was the name of the Steam shovel story?

Massey

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think it was Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton.
That was a good one, too. I loved the illustrations.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts