Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see 2 screws in the front and once removed...front wobbles. how does it come apart?

when trying to run the train, it runs but has a weird noise that when it kinda stops the noise, you see the train want to take off... then slows with noise. figured open it up and look. something needs greasing?

and what grease to use? been searching that but whats your preference?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
See if these diagrams help. I should know how they come apart for the amount of work I did to mine a year ago when I purchased it, but I can't recall for sure and mine is currently packed away.

http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/searchcd31.htm?itm=759

I believe the two screws you removed are what hold the cylinder/pilot casting to the main boiler shell and I don't believe they need to be removed to remove the motor. To get the motor out there's a flathead machine screw that goes horizontally through the side of the locomotive. Removing that will free up the front of the chassis. I can't recall how the rear is held in. Is there a screw in the cab or a second horizontal screw through the side near the rear?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually reading what you said helped...

flathead screw on back from top... then front horizontal lont screw...
its partially apart lol

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I believe some of the drive rod connections need to come apart to make things a bit easier to remove from the shell, but I don't remember it being too bad of a job overall.

You should be able to remove the phillips(?) head screws from the center set drive wheels and that will free up the chassis from the complicated parts of the linkage. Just keep track of the orientation of the spacer ring in relation to the rods.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe some of the drive rod connections need to come apart to make things a bit easier to remove from the shell, but I don't remember it being too bad of a job overall.

You should be able to remove the phillips(?) head screws from the center set drive wheels and that will free up the chassis from the complicated parts of the linkage. Just keep track of the orientation of the spacer ring in relation to the rods.
thx saw that. ive got something going on one side. i cant move rod by hand on one side. other i can...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Before you start taking things apart try a drop of motor oil on the brush end of the commutator shaft. I just finished rehabbing a 224 that was making a godawful squawking sound. I was convinced it was a gear problem; oiled and greased everything in sight...except the brush end of the commutator shaft. As a last effort before starting some serious surgery, I put a drop of oil on the brush end of the shaft and voila, problem solved!

BTW, I don’t think you need to take anything apart to lubricate the entire engine. All points requiring lubrication should be accessible with the loco fully intact.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts