Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm definitely of the mind that humor does belong in model railroading.

So, I'm starting this thread so we can share our humorous scenes and comment

I'll start with these:

1) Cranky old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn

2) A less than hospitable bear taking a jogger to task

Your turn-----

Attachments

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Humor is always great, although I prefer it when it doesn't stray too far into the silly. Just my opinion, of course. One of our local artists maintains two layouts at a local pizza joint, and they're just loaded with whimsical touches (including a large Sta-Puffed Marshmallow Man in the background of one city scene.

C

·
0 Posts
Those are good, KG.

I have a couple of humorous things on my layout.

A dog is stealing a sausage while it's oblivious owner is busy with the grill.

20181121_114941.jpg

The name of the campground is the other bit of humor.

20181112_180859.jpg

I'm not sure if the name of the church and the pastor qualifies as humorous but I'll include it.

20181112_181824.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Several years ago when Weaver was still in existence, another forum I was a member of had an annual club car program that began in 06. The forum members would participate in choosing what the car would be, and what types of text would be printed along with the forum logo. Each car had text that was associated with the type of car and what it was used for, along with the road name. We chose fallen flag roads, and cars that didn't exceed the limits of an O27 radius track, as many members had traditional layouts with tubular track and small radii. Our first car was a DT&I AC2 covered hopper designated to carry sand. Here are some photos of the car and humorous text.
To be continued:
2007 through 2014 TCA_MG club Cars 016.JPG

2007 through 2014 TCA_MG club Cars 015.JPG

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
Somewhere I have the color version of this photo but can't find it. This B&W one is from the preface to my book Veranda Turbine, and is the vignette that started the whole story and "thing" about her rolling.

Veranda Turbine walking through downtown San Bettadaise.

Veranda Turbine Walking Through Downtown.jpg

·
Registered
408 Posts
The late John Armstrong used puns or plays on words on his legendary layout. Among them - The location of the gas meter on the basement wall was such that he needed to drop the track height a bit to clear it. Hence, it was named Gazmeterzag. One station located was right beside the water heater. The name of the station - Warm River.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Our second club car was a Rock Island Line flat car with wood crates. As with the first car, the forum logo was stamped on the car. There was no humorous text, but the crates were stamped listing the contents as Toy Train parts.
2007 through 2014 TCA_MG club Cars 018.JPG

2007 through 2014 TCA_MG club Cars 013.JPG

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The third in the club car series was a PH Schnieder Brewing Co. Century Beer from Colorado wood side reefer. The forum logo was moved to the ends of the car, and the motto Brewed With Integrity is the motto of the forum. We had a photo of beautiful commemorative plate with a very elaborate painting that we wanted to use on the car sides, but Weaver was unable to copy the image. Todd, the painter was going to attempt to hand draw the image, but never did. The folks at Weaver got the graphics from Charles Ro, from the USA Trains G scale line. Weaver always tried to go the extra mile for us.

2007 through 2014 TCA_MG club Cars 020.JPG

2007 through 2014 TCA_MG club Cars 010.JPG

1 - 20 of 27 Posts