Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever seen such hybride vehicles?

Photo taken at the Hamburg - Ohlsdorf S-Train Station. In directly Neighbourhood to the station is the S-Train Backshop, for shunting cars or complete trains in and out this hybride vehicle is used when the 3 rd rail 1200 V DC power is switched off.
It has power pickups to save the expensive Diesel fuel.
The used coupler is the Scharffenberg Coupler for automatic coupling.
An S-Train is like a subway but faster running than an underground or elevated subway.

A little joke in addition...
Ahead the Olsdorf Station is Europe's biggest Cemetery.
The Olsdorf Station is the Union Station of the Hamburg S-Train company of the state RR DB AG and the private Hamburger Hochbahn AG (Hamburg Elevated Subway Company).

Two subway stations away from Olsdorf at Alsterdorf I went out of the Subway in direction to Ohlsdorf and went to the platform exit. An old lady with flowers and her handbag in her hand asked me, how she will come in fastest way to the Ohlsdorf Cemetry during she looked behind the outmoving Subway to Ohlsdorf?
Me I answered that she will have two possibilities:
Well, grab onto third rail (800 V DC) and you will be there immidietly or await the next train in four minutes and move two stations with the Subway...she was very angry with me....why?

·
Registered
762 Posts
There are non-locomotive diesel vehicles for moving cars around in industrial situations google image search "trackmobile" or "rail king":)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey gunnerjohn,

I love the rubber tires on this one, obviously a dual-use model that can drive on the roads as well.
that will be a great Idea. Than begin planningwho you can mofifying the truck to run one H0 Tracks and in other Way onto Faller Car System?

Ya Ingo

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Mercedes builds a bit of everything, don't they! Probably just the engine in this case...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mercedes has a wide varity of Unimog Trucks or Tractors and such smaller All around Trucks are very popular in central europe and cheap in price.

Such Unimog used for Shunting is much cheaper than a small switching Loco.

The S-Train has a smaller profile of their trains and railcars than the state RR's other trains.

The new built S-Train tunnel to the Hamburg Airport needs some Maintenance Vehicles, too.
Low profile vehicles can be used there, only.

The new built Class BR 474 and BR 474.5 Railcars are often making problems in their daily duty. It can easily happen that a complete S-Train need to be pulled out of the tunnel when they are in trouble.

The oldtimer Classes BR 471/871 (built in 1938, 1952, 1954) and BR 470/870 (built in 1960's and 1970's) are since Juli 2006 out of service and most of them had been scrapped.

The last conventional Railcars are the in 1982 and 1984 built BR Class BR 472/473 but it should be replaced by the Class BR 475.5/875.5 or more newer Versions as two system Railcars with 1200 V DC 3rd Rail and 15 kV 16 2/3 Hz AC overhead wire.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like that maintenance truck is registered in Frankfurt.

Here is the State RR's DB AG (Stockholder Company 100 % of the Stocks owned by the Federal Republic of Germany) Administration Building at "Bankfurt Mainhatten" (Frankfurt at the River Main).

Of Course most of their Road Vehicles are registered at Frankfurt, where the State RR Administration is located.
The RR Administration Building of Berlin is another strategic Administration Building, close to the Traffic Minister of the Gouvernment.

Our State RR is refinanced by public taxes, there is no financial risks for the managers to make wrong decissions, at least all people in germany paying it by public taxes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts