Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Fascinating. Would be good to do it one time . . .

My Dad talked little about his experience as a bomber pilot in WWII. But I imagine he had many friends when he was in his early 20s who probably never wanted to see that view again. After the war and his obligatory service in the Air Reserve, he never flew a plane again - said he could not explain why but almost all his buddies felt the same way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got to take a ride in a B-17 a few years ago. Expensive, but worth it. The fellow that taught me to fly, Ed Martens, and his four brothers were all bomber pilots during WWII. Ed's plane caught fire over Germany and he had the crew bail out. Somehow he was able to put out the fire and bring the plane back in to england. Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
688 Posts
"In March 2020, the FAA revoked the Collings Foundation's permission to carry passengers, citing numerous safety concerns and noting that allowing passengers would "would adversely affect safety.” Investigators found substantial shortcomings in the foundation's safety practices: key personnel were ignorant of the organization's maintenance program and "basic information concerning operations." One magneto for the No. 4 engine had been "jury [rigged]" and was inoperative, while a second magneto was producing weak or no spark in four of the nine cylinders it was supposed to fire. Spark plugs for both the No. 3 and No. 4 engines had been gapped improperly and needed cleaning, and evidence of detonation was found."
I just read this in regards to the 2019 crash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts